• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sialia

First Post
Fear not--I had no intention of using it for an avatar--it was just one of those assignments that got completely out of control. I'll start over again soon, but I just had to get to sleep that night--when things go that hideously awry, it's time to stop.I almost always start in graycale and then add color after--it makes it easier to make sure I have a composition that carries simply.

After I get a new rough draft, I'll post again.

Sialia

First Post
Ok, Sammael.

I have another very strange experience working your avatar--which I'm not going to share because I've deleted it already-- and now I'm starting to wonder why.

I think you'd better tell me why you want to look fiendish.

Sammael

Adventurer
Well, because my internet personna is Sammael, a Duke of Hell? I've always used fiendish avatars in one shape or another. If it's a problem, I understand. I am not religious at all myself, but people have been bothered by it before.

Sialia

First Post
It's not a religious problem, per se. More of a focus problem.

The way I do these is a bit more like summoning than drawing.

I don't usually decide what or how to draw the avatar before I get going--I start with swirly fog and stare into it until I see the outline of something--something that suggests a shape that is already there--and then I just bring it out. It's much eaiser than drawing--like seeing cloud shapes. Almost anyone can see shapes in clouds. Photoshop lets me nail them down and show them to other people.

Usually this works pretty well, as long as I'm either willing to just take whatever comes, or have a clear sense of what I'm looking for. And the really best ones, they always feel like I didn't have anything to do with drawing them at all--they just come all by themselves.

Anyway, so. I've gotten enough weird results working on yours that I think I'm not focusing properly. Your avatar is being tricky and elusive, and isn't going to sit still to have it's portrait drawn until I understand it a level better.

Your spec was clear, and perfectly reasonable--should be well suited to my style. There's no problem there. But thers's something else missing--the thing that makes your fiend different from anyone else's. What kind of a fiend are you?

Tell me more about being a Duke of Hell, and how you got there.

Sialia

First Post
Fourth try, and now I'm getting a Chinese luck dragon.

My five year old thinks he's adorable and made me name the file "Cutie-pie" and wants me to make him magenta instead of red.

There's a definite lack of fiendishness happening here.

Sialia

First Post
And now it looks like a very angry kobold.

Or possibly a pooch that's set itself on fire. A mean looking pooch, but a pooch nonetheless.

So much for tonight. i'll try again. But not tonight.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads