Avenger Power: Oath of the Final Duel Questions

TheEvil

Explorer
So in our last game, my avenger slapped Oath of the Final Duel (OFD) on a ogre magi (or whatever they call them these days) early in the fight. To no great suprise, it turns invisible and flys off at the end of the fight. This raises a couple questions:

Can my avenger teleport to a square adjacent to the ogre magi without being able to see him?

Assuming I can locate him with a perception check (minor action), can I hit him before I fall?

Assuming I can swing before I fall, what kind of penalty should be assessed for trying to hit an invisible foe while pulling a Wiley Coyote?

I am sure there are more questions, but these are the big ones that came up last weekend.

DracoSuave

First Post
So in our last game, my avenger slapped Oath of the Final Duel (OFD) on a ogre magi (or whatever they call them these days) early in the fight. To no great suprise, it turns invisible and flys off at the end of the fight. This raises a couple questions:

Can my avenger teleport to a square adjacent to the ogre magi without being able to see him?

Assuming I can locate him with a perception check (minor action), can I hit him before I fall?

Assuming I can swing before I fall, what kind of penalty should be assessed for trying to hit an invisible foe while pulling a Wiley Coyote?

I am sure there are more questions, but these are the big ones that came up last weekend.

Oh god, this must be allowed to happen!

If only for the WTF awesome factor!

If this were Feng Shui, by the way, teleporting repeatedly to hit a flying invisible foe who is trying to escape a final oath to the death gives you a BONUS to the attack roll.

Joker

First Post
Oh god, this must be allowed to happen!

If only for the WTF awesome factor!

If this were Feng Shui, by the way, teleporting repeatedly to hit a flying invisible foe who is trying to escape a final oath to the death gives you a BONUS to the attack roll.

Called a wuxia bonus IIRC.

Fkewl

First Post
This would make sense to me :

Minor to spot him - see him? yes
Standard - Ready an attack with trigger "as soon as i am in melee range"
Minor - teleport next to him and -5 to attack roll since he's invisible
Fall - Acrobatics to save some damage if trained

Free bonus for cool move? DM's call.

Samir

Explorer
This would make sense to me :

Minor to spot him - see him? yes
Standard - Ready an attack with trigger "as soon as i am in melee range"
Minor - teleport next to him and -5 to attack roll since he's invisible
Fall - Acrobatics to save some damage if trained

Free bonus for cool move? DM's call.
That would work, except readied actions are immediate reactions, which can't be taken on your own turn.

Fkewl

First Post
woops! good catch

well, as dm i would let a attack go off before falling

or let player can bamf 5 feet over and on the way down swing at his enemy

TheEvil

Explorer
So no issue with teleporting to the invisible ogre magi location using OFD, or was that assumed after the succesful perception check?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
So no issue with teleporting to the invisible ogre magi location using OFD, or was that assumed after the succesful perception check?

Given the nature of the power, I'd say that you get to teleport to an adjacent square without a perception check as long as you're willing to have the DM roll a die to choose the square. This is important because you'll then need to guess what square he is in for your attack.

Hejdun

First Post
I thought you could automatically tell which square an invisible enemy was in unless it also made a Stealth check?

bganon

Explorer
That's right. Invisible creatures need to keep quiet and still, or they'll lose any hidden status they may have gained and everyone will know what square they're in.

In general I try to let "jump and attack before I fall" stuff work, because otherwise fighting vs fliers just becomes even less fun. So yeah, I'd totally allow this.

Remove ads