Avengers: Endgame SPOILER THREAD

MarkB

Legend
The Russos admitted that some of what was in the trailers was fake, and you can noticed that in certain scenes like when every one comes to watch Captain Marvel brings Tony home Peper was edited out for the trailer.

It made an interesting switch that they didn't do any set-up for that rescue. The mid-credits scene from Captain Marvel set up her arrival in Avengers Endgame, but with previous movies you'd expect to see the scene again within the new movie. Instead, we cut straight to her finding Stark and Nebula.

I really liked how the trailers basically spoil absolutely nothing of importance, and about 10 minutes you have no idea how the movie will go, and I don't think anyone predicted this. I guess that is subverting expectations in the good way.

Up to Old Steve Rogers on the bench, it made perfect sense to me.
You can't change the past. It's set. When you travel in the past,you are really traveling to a parallel universe.
You can do there whatever you want, including stealing stuff, and use it for your own purposes, it has no effect on the timeline you come from. Of course, you might screw over that universe if you steal something important, like the Infinity Stones, but you can also help them a great deal if you remove something dangerous, like, say a guy hell-bent on wiping out half the universe. So basically, their actions saved actually two universes (or the population worth one complete universe), because they undid the snap in their own timeline, and removed Thanos from the other.

But I can't quite reconcile how that works for Old Steve Rogers. I mean it's possible there has always been a Steve Rogers that came back at some point to reunite with Agent Carter (clearly after the events of the series), and that's our old Steve Rogers now. But that suggests that travel into the past doesn't always end up with an alternate timeline. But how would the time travel mechanism "know" which option to pick?

Let me explain how the ending with Cap isn't a paradox.

You only split off a new timeline if you change what you know. So Loki escaping? New timeline. Sending Nebula into the future and then bringing your army? New timeline. Rocket stabs Jane with a syringe? Slightly new timeline.

But Captain America never knew who Peggy Carter married, and she dutifully kept it secret from the recently thawed Steve Rogers. So when he went back and reunited with her, that changed nothing. Thus, it's the same timeline.

Nellisir

Hero
I liked it. I don't think it was as amazing as the critics seemed to think, and it was pretty rushed much of the time, but it was a good wrap-up.

I liked...
- Nebula had a very, very good arc, actually.
- Hawkeye.
- Wanda did good at the end there. So...maybe WandaVision covers the time between Ultron and IW?
- Cap, pretty much all the way through.
- Ant-Man
- Given that BW has a movie in the works, I didn't expect her to get axed. So...prequel? I'm really glad that Hawkeye got to reunite with his family, but it still sucks.
- I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

Things I didn't like...
- Big-Gut Thor. It was a one-note joke that never ended. And movies are a visual medium; give us a Big Visual Cue that he's refound his purpose as a Warrior. Don't just braid his beard. (See Ragnarok for this done right.) Pretty cool for him to be in GotG3 though, if that's how it develops.
- Professor Hulk. No real explanation, no development, no tension, no conflict, no nothing. And he doesn't even break anything in a particularly impressive fashion. Dud. I'm just hoping this means they're saving it for something a little further down the line.
- The flying horse was unimpressive.
- There were a few moments, mostly involving Captain Marvel, that fell flat. When the final fight started I kept waiting for a reference to her, and...nothing. That's not how you build anticipation. If there's a gun, etc, etc. A shot of someone clicking the pager, or saying something that acknowledged her, would've been awesome.
- Her defensive "team" seemed gratuitous and frankly, unnecessary given what she'd LITERALLY just gone through. I love the idea, but it didn't flow organically. (it was much better done in Infinity War)

That's what I can recall right now. Maybe I'm expecting too much of CM; I really really liked her movie, but this appearance lacked depth.

Nellisir

Hero
Well, Bri is signed on for 7 more movies, and has already been dubbed the new RDJ in that regard.

That doesn't really make it better. Right now it's all tell and no show re her being the new core of the MCU. She could've been given a little more personality. (I'm totally blaming the writers & directors, btw.)

Derren

Hero
I wonder if Thor will stay with the Guardians in future movies (if there are any).

A bit surprised that Captain Marvel didn't had a bigger role in it and also that her arrival was totally different than in the trailer. I guess initially she came to earth and then started to look for Tony instead of simply finding him in space, but that was cut.

Also, didn't they plan a Black Widow movie? I guess it will be a prequel.

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Too much emotions by actors who want their screen time. The time travelling plot was clunky at best. The action and plot of Infinity War was better. It is a disappointing end to great series.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Yikes.

So characters being affected by events and then resolving to try to save the day anyway just ain't your brand of heroism, huh?

Forced emotions do not reach me. Black Widow and Hawkeye were tertiary characters at best. Their deaths (well ultimately Widow's) was meaningless and only made the film longer. And the film is full of those types of boring forced moments. A terrible end to a great series.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
strangely enough the only point where I got emotional was in Scotts reunion with teenage Cassie, the rest of the movie was good, but not the epic I heard about in reviews. That might have been due to the length or maybe just that Time travel/alternate universe stories arent my thang. I've also tended to be fine with the lighthearted approach of the MCU but think that some of the jokes in this were unnecessary and detracted from the gravitas.

That said I liked Capt Americas arc and Nebulas too and really liked Capt being able to summon lightning. Giant Man going big enough to hold Hulk in his hand was also very cool.

I didnt like that Professor Hulk was just there without any explanation of how Banner and Hulk got reconciled. I also didnt like that the Hulk personality was entirely gone - the lacklustre car smashing scene was dumb.
Slob Thor joke was stretched out too long, although the moment with his mother was nicely done. Some of the team combos were a bit dumb too - like why were Hawkeye and Natasha sent to Vormir when neither had been in space before AND Black Widow would have been more valuable on the New York mission than Tony was?

Final battle was great

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases