• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Average number of players in a group?

Number of players in your group

• 1 player

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • 2-3 players

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • 4-5 players

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • 6-7 players

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • 8+ players

Votes: 6 4.5%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Fifth Element said:
1. What should I answer if I have more than one group? I currently DM a group of 3 players and play in another group of 5 players (though there is an overlap of 2 players between the 2 groups).
I answered based on what's around the table during one normal session. How many players a multi-party campaign has is another question entirely...my last campaign had 11 regular players at the end; 5 in one party, 5 in the other, and 1 sort-of in both. But my answer for the poll was 4-5. (though would have been 5-6 if that option existed)
poll will likely skew high. Assuming all players are ENWorld members, a 6-player group could result in 6 answers of 6, while a 3-player group could only result in 3 answers of 3.
A brilliant observation! I'd have missed it for sure....

Question is, how to arrange so that only one member of each group responds?

Lanefan

Lanefan said:
Question is, how to arrange so that only one member of each group responds?

Lanefan
I suppose you could ask that only DMs answer the poll (since there is generally only 1 DM per group), but then you'd have many fewer responses.

Jhaelen

First Post
I've got 8 players but it's a rare event that all eight have time and show up.
I started playing with 4 players but soon realized that it was simply too difficult to find a date when all were available (it happened about 6 times in a year), so I looked for additional players to be able to play more regularly.

Now we're playing every 3-4 weeks with an average of 5-6 players.

Rabelais

First Post
Wow, look at the pretty bell curve! :)

Seriously though, The reason that WotC says there's probably 5 people in your group is because they do their market research...

You probably have 5 people in your group
You're probably male
European-American
college educated
Ages 26-34, with a median household income somewhere just below the national average of $49,000 per year. (because you're young-ish, not because you don't have a good job)

You probably own or have access to more than 1 computer
a gaming system
like pancakes over French Toast

and wish that you owned the Bugatti Veyron, and dated a Brazillian supermodel

guessing that you have 5 people in your group isn't rocket science, it's statistics ;)

PS
I'm 4 of the above... I'll sit over here with Gabriella while you figure out which.. ;)

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Lanefan - I'd be interested in that poll. Other than maybe familiars or animal companions, I haven't seen players pulling double duty on PC's since I was 12 years old.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Hussar said:
Lanefan - I'd be interested in that poll. Other than maybe familiars or animal companions, I haven't seen players pulling double duty on PC's since I was 12 years old.
Just stop by any game here...it's pretty much standard procedure in our crew.

I always try to run 2 at once (if the DM allows) because I know all too well that given the way I tend to play at least one of 'em's gonna die; this way, I still have something to do. :)

EDIT: "How Many Characters" poll now up.

Lanefan

Last edited:

Remove ads