• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aw Shizzle, Gamespy has a preview of ToEE

Henry

Autoexreginated
I got to see a demo of ToEE at Gencon (I can't believe I forgot that!!!) and I was very worried because it did not impress me.

Maybe it's because I couldn't see a whole lot of it, but it was VERY slow, had a VERY clunky interface, and generally concerned me. I liked some parts, such as actual conversations and gameplay, but Neverwinter Nights' radial mouse interface seemed MUCH cleaner to me than Troika's interface for this.

I will have to give it another spin when it actually releases. Hopefully they have sped it up and given it some tweaks by then.

PowerWordDumb

First Post
The money for this game is as good as spent. Now it just has to arrive so that I can actually trade this reserved cash for a game.

Ditto with Lionheart, though that should be on shelves any minute now. It doesn't get quite the visceral reaction that ToEE does, but it still looks good.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I dunno, I'll probably try it, but I've had a tough time with SP CRPGs ever since I started playing multiplayer Neverwinter Nights. It's just hard for a scripted NPC to compare with a live DM/player.

PowerWordDumb

First Post
Then you are a lucky man, mr. Lazybones - in my experience the live DMs available for public NWN games have been universally terrible. I've always wondered how great it could be if done right.

Zogg

First Post
ToEE= Temple of Elemental Evil (as in Greyhawk)

I loved SP CRPG's!!! (Single Player Computer Role-Playing Games, for the acronym-impaired)

I've been suffering through the drought that followed IWD2, which was a great game by the way if you could figure out how to get past the flawed CR/XP distribution. I'm not really into MMORPGs because I don't have an internet connection and I don't want to get sucked in - I do have a life outside of my RPG-fascination that needs attention from time to time. Oh yeah, and I like to sleep too.

I think ToEE will be fantabulicious-scrumdiddly-umptious. Sorry to hear you weren't down with ToEE, Henry, hopefully the final release will change your mind. And remember every interface is different - if you get too attached to one you will inevitably have separation anxiety!

Dark Jezter

First Post
ToEE is one of the many games I'm really looking forward to, right up there with World of Warcraft, Half-Life 2, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004.

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

I most likely played the exact same demo that Henry did, though I was at the San Diego Comic-Con (mini-review in another thread). It was absolutely a demo/test version, which is why the extreme slowdown on the Save/Load screen didn't really bother me, and I expect the relative slowness of movement and window scrolling to be improved as well (I don't want it to slowly accelerate to fast movement, I want it to be fast right away, it's my fault if I have the mouse at the edge of the screen accidentally).

The interface on the other hand, I totally like, especially now that I know you can A) drag the action radial menu around and B) center the screen on the selected character. The actions and information in the interface are super easy to read (possibly it's time for glasses for me, sadly) with full spell names, ability names, etc. No icons (or de-emphasived) icons, woo!

I'm playing KotOR now, I'll play Lionheart soon, and I'll play ToEE as soon as it appears. Lots of CRPG gaming goodness this time of year, oddly enough.

Take care,
Dreeble

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads