WotC Baldur's Gate 3 AMA is happening next week

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I'd be interested in finding out how much effort is going in to make it feel like the world acknowledges events that happen. Since playing through Disco Elysium I just generally get the feeling that other RPGs feel a bit hollow in comparison.

A perfect example would be how in Divinity Original Sin 2 if a party member dies the other party members don't react at all. You'd think that seeing the death of an adventuring companion would get some reaction, either trauma or if the characters have an adversarial relationship some smug comment. But no there's simply nothing. Just use a resurrection scroll and move on as if nothing happened.

I get that Disco Elysium is short for an rpg and has a relatively small scope so they can afford to pay attention to so many of the smaller details. Without having to flesh out a combat system, and mechanics for hiding, and all the bells and whistles Disco Elysium has room to put a laser like focus on the writing. So a big game like Baldur's Gate 3 probably won't have that level of attention for the world building and minor NPCs since it has so much other stuff on it's plate. But I'd still like the bigger games to try to push more in that direction. There is also hope since Larian has made their love for Disco Elysium known.

Xeviat

Hero
What kind of questions do you folks plan on asking?

Are you planning on including all 12 base classes from the 5E PHB? At least all the races? Is there plan for DLC for additional races and Subclasses?

Would it be possible to remake BG1 and BG2 in your new engine?

gyor

Legend
Are you planning on including all 12 base classes from the 5E PHB? At least all the races? Is there plan for DLC for additional races and Subclasses?

Would it be possible to remake BG1 and BG2 in your new engine?

Those are all good questions.

A perfect example would be how in Divinity Original Sin 2 if a party member dies the other party members don't react at all. You'd think that seeing the death of an adventuring companion would get some reaction, either trauma or if the characters have an adversarial relationship some smug comment. But no there's simply nothing. Just use a resurrection scroll and move on as if nothing happened.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? If you know that someone will be back in a few minutes it's not a big deal if they faceplant.

I seem to recall there wasn't party banter during combat in DOS2, it was reserved for OOC. There was triggered plot related dialogue, usually from NPCs.

Last edited:

Remove ads