D&D General Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access

Baldur's Gate III is now available for early access on Steam and on Stadia.

bg3.jpg

I couldn't get the Steam version working on my Mac, but the Stadia version works just fine. The opening tutorial level is pretty gruesome (at one point I had to squish somebody's brain) and the mind flayer airship you're trying to escape from beings to mind the movie Aliens a lot.

Character creation is quick and easy, although options in the early access are limited. The gameplay is like Divinity Original Sin 2 with the 5E rules layered over it. I've only played an hour or so of the game, and as an early access game, it is occasionally a bit buggy, but nothing showstopping (yet).

This isn't a review (I haven't played enough of it to do that, and I don't think it's fair to review an early access version anyway); it's mainly just an alert to the few people who don't already know it's available. If any such person exists!

Russ Morrissey

Russ Morrissey

SirGrotius

Explorer
Did a quick search on this thread but did not see "apple" come up and "Mac" is too short to be searchable...so, is this playable on Mac? I'm not familiar with this other platform, Stadia?, people are referencing. I feel as though I'm asking the most obvious question!!

Azzy

KMF DM
Did a quick search on this thread but did not see "apple" come up and "Mac" is too short to be searchable...so, is this playable on Mac?
I'm not sure about the early access of the game, but I believe so. The the final release will be playable on a Mac (according to the system requirements for the game on Steam).

I'm not familiar with this other platform, Stadia?, people are referencing. I feel as though I'm asking the most obvious question!!
Stadia is weird. It's not so much a platform but a streaming service for games. It allows you to play games without downloading them and can be used on a computer regardless of OS and on some phones and mobile devices.

MarkB

Legend
Did a quick search on this thread but did not see "apple" come up and "Mac" is too short to be searchable...so, is this playable on Mac? I'm not familiar with this other platform, Stadia?, people are referencing. I feel as though I'm asking the most obvious question!!
Stadia is Google's streaming gaming service. Essentially, the game runs on their server, controlled by you, and the sound and video is sent to your computer.

Since it's browser based it runs on most platforms, including Mac, but you need a decent internet connection.

cbwjm

Legend
Just had a look on steam, looks to be available on Mac OS X.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Shadowheart rocks. But she also dies, a lot, sadly. I saw a post from Larian saying she was the only NPC to die more frequently than the main PC...

Shadowheart is the perfect example of a horribly built character.
She isn't good as a frontliner, due to dumping DEX and having only a smattering of Con. Which is a big problem considering she is one of two "tankish" NPCs that the game gives you.
She isn't good at ranged combat either, due to her ranged attack of choice being Sacred Flame; Low CR creatures have disproportionally high DEX scores, and the spell doesn't do a lot of damage or have a great range to begin with. She would be better off chucking javelins (if they existed)

Also her death saving throw dice are cursed. I swear she just flat out fails more often than other characters for some reason. It might be bias, but it could be a bug.

The AI will usually attack the target with the lowest AC, so pumping up AC (e.g. Shield of Faith, Mirror Image) discourages the AI from attacking you at all. If you lower the designated tank's AC - e.g. don't use a shield - you encourage the AI to attack them instead. Meanwhile, cleric is best used as a healer.

MarkB

Legend
Shadowheart is the perfect example of a horribly built character.
She isn't good as a frontliner, due to dumping DEX and having only a smattering of Con. Which is a big problem considering she is one of two "tankish" NPCs that the game gives you.
She isn't good at ranged combat either, due to her ranged attack of choice being Sacred Flame; Low CR creatures have disproportionally high DEX scores, and the spell doesn't do a lot of damage or have a great range to begin with. She would be better off chucking javelins (if they existed)

Also her death saving throw dice are cursed. I swear she just flat out fails more often than other characters for some reason. It might be bias, but it could be a bug.
In my first run, after I killed Lae'zel to spare the tieflings, I gave Shadowheart her armour. That helped a bit. It is tough to find affordable heavier armour in the early game.

Nymrod

Explorer
They shouldn't be. But there is something so viscerally satisfying about missing an attack, then shoving them out of pure spite. :poop:
It's certainly part of the balancing needed. And yeah I also think that the verisimilitude of the game, which is supposed to be a focus given the level of detail, is suffering from way too many barrels of flammable oil.

Anyone familiar with previous Larian EA's, what is the plan? Will they be adding more content gradually or will they patch to the game proper when they are ready for release?

MarkB

Legend
Anyone familiar with previous Larian EA's, what is the plan? Will they be adding more content gradually or will they patch to the game proper when they are ready for release?
Adding content gradually. The whole point of Early Access is to playtest new aspects of the game as they're added.

Nymrod

Explorer
Modders have really gone to town on this already it seems. There are mods at the Nexus to unlock playing as an Origin character, adding a lot more customizations (which imo is very much needed) and many other things.

And yes, there importantly is a mod to break the short rest restriction.

CapnZapp

Legend
Anyone else finding Baldur's Gate more deadly than actual 5e sessions?

I think this is because:

Not a merciful DM. I like how the enemies will actually continue to attack downed characters. Too often in live games of 5e, DMs don't do this.
The fights vary dramatically with how you use the terrain.

Walk towards the enemy? The fight is several times harder than backing away from the enemy and leading them into your trap.
I wish they wouldn't implement difficulty levels with simple "you deal double damage" or "enemies have half hit points" adjustments, and instead implement an easier level by a more generous AI that acts more like a tabletop DM:

Attacking already-downed heroes comes across as petty and vindictive in the tabletop game. Shame 5E simplified the game to discard negative hit points, since this makes "makings sure they stay down by killing them dead" an actually good tactic. I far prefer it if the DM's critters don't purpuse foes once they're down, and that this is actually a reasonable option.

I also wish for an AI (or terrain rules) that doesn't make terrain a make or break feature. It isn't such a huge factor in the tabletop experience, simply because terrain is a complexity factor many groups don't bother with.

To get to the point: I wish there was a way to play BG2 the way you can play the tabletop game, as an awesome mighty Barbarian that strides boldly towards the enemy. When I play fantasy games I specifically do not want the faux-modern experience of stealth, cover and tactics.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I specifically do not want the faux-modern experience of stealth, cover and tactics.
I get your point, but I question the use of the term "modern" for wargaming style play. Unless you are somehow referring to it in the sense that it's from the same era as modern art.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I wish they wouldn't implement difficulty levels with simple "you deal double damage" or "enemies have half hit points" adjustments, and instead implement an easier level by a more generous AI that acts more like a tabletop DM:

Attacking already-downed heroes comes across as petty and vindictive in the tabletop game. Shame 5E simplified the game to discard negative hit points, since this makes "makings sure they stay down by killing them dead" an actually good tactic. I far prefer it if the DM's critters don't purpuse foes once they're down, and that this is actually a reasonable option.

I also wish for an AI (or terrain rules) that doesn't make terrain a make or break feature. It isn't such a huge factor in the tabletop experience, simply because terrain is a complexity factor many groups don't bother with.

To get to the point: I wish there was a way to play BG2 the way you can play the tabletop game, as an awesome mighty Barbarian that strides boldly towards the enemy. When I play fantasy games I specifically do not want the faux-modern experience of stealth, cover and tactics.
Have you sent this feed back to Larian?

CapnZapp

Legend
I get your point, but I question the use of the term "modern" for wargaming style play. Unless you are somehow referring to it in the sense that it's from the same era as modern art.
Your "question" is fair. It doesn't really have anything to do with the technology level. What I mean is:

2e8205919cc80d9712a4c1db68741f58.jpg
"Modern" combat: bullets can take you out entirely so moving from cover to cover, ranged combat, and terrain is paramount.

conan2.jpg
Classic "fantasy" combat: heroically wading into melee defeating loads of monsters by sheer brawn, heroism or impudence alone.

My point is that Larian's decisions regarding rules, monster design and encounter terrain transforms the 5E game from a chiefly "fantasy" experience into a chiefly "modern" experience, and that I'd like it if they at they very least offered the option to play the game in a more classical way.

CapnZapp

Legend
Have you sent this feed back to Larian?
No, why?

(Not only do I prefer to communicate my thoughts where they are seen by a wider audience, I am convinced my thoughts carry more weight here - where you and others can see them and maybe be influenced by them - than as just the feedback of one out of a million playtesters)

Nymrod

Explorer
No, why?

(Not only do I prefer to communicate my thoughts where they are seen by a wider audience, I am convinced my thoughts carry more weight here - where you and others can see them and maybe be influenced by them - than as just the feedback of one out of a million playtesters)
Eh . . . they have forums too you know. Where people are rather focused with sharing their experience of the game.

Nymrod

Explorer
Also with resurrection being fairly easy given we have a servant of Jergal hanging around in our camp, the fact that they focus on killing downed characters probably ends up for the best given that it's a couple of attacks spared from the rest of the group. You want the enemy down fast and then you can go to camp and rez (or use the scrolls). Heck help seems pointless quite often in some fights since they can easily down the character before they get to act unless you get a chance to also heal (or throw a potion)

Visit Our Sponsor

Latest threads

Dungeon Delver's Guide

An Advertisement

Advertisement4