D&D General Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access

Baldur's Gate III is now available for early access on Steam and on Stadia.

Baldur's Gate III is now available for early access on Steam and on Stadia.

bg3.jpg

I couldn't get the Steam version working on my Mac, but the Stadia version works just fine. The opening tutorial level is pretty gruesome (at one point I had to squish somebody's brain) and the mind flayer airship you're trying to escape from beings to mind the movie Aliens a lot.

Character creation is quick and easy, although options in the early access are limited. The gameplay is like Divinity Original Sin 2 with the 5E rules layered over it. I've only played an hour or so of the game, and as an early access game, it is occasionally a bit buggy, but nothing showstopping (yet).

This isn't a review (I haven't played enough of it to do that, and I don't think it's fair to review an early access version anyway); it's mainly just an alert to the few people who don't already know it's available. If any such person exists!

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I just read that the saves from early access wont work (IGN) once the game is fully released. Glad I waited

Yeah, that's always the case with early access. This build is actually more stable than other early access games I've played.

But absolutely - by opting in now you're making a concession that you'll have to start over when the full game is released (which looks to be over a year away at this point).

sim-h

Explorer
The NPCs are amazing. Only Astarion I can't stand and find irritating. All the others, I find very engaging in different ways. Shadowheart rocks. But she also dies, a lot, sadly. I saw a post from Larian saying she was the only NPC to die more frequently than the main PC...

I've found it's Wyll who dies all the time - Shadowheart has Mirror Image in her spell list which is currently very powerful in BG3.

I've found the enemy AI is pretty vicious. It picks a target and stays focused on it, it continues to attack downed targets, and it goes all out to break concentration.

Nymrod

Explorer
I've found it's Wyll who dies all the time - Shadowheart has Mirror Image in her spell list which is currently very powerful in BG3.

I've found the enemy AI is pretty vicious. It picks a target and stays focused on it, it continues to attack downed targets, and it goes all out to break concentration.
Yeah the AI is a solid mean GM that gives players no breaks. Which is great for those who enjoy a challenge. As for me, I'm cheating my way through the game because I'm a lazy bastard that just wants to see the story (and there is finally a cheat engine script to always win d20 rolls)

Yeah, strict rules make Hex/Hunters Mark less effective than they tend to be in tabletop. "Whoops, did you trip over a pebble? You have just lost concentration on Hex." - Evil DM

Remove ads

Remove ads