D&D 5E Ban Variant-Human! Impact?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What feat gives you as much as:

+1 to an ability score, flight at-will (50' or 25' speed, depending on armor), proficient with your unarmed strikes which do 1d4 damage, two additional languages? (Aarakocra)

+1 to an ability score, darkvision, advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects, a free attack cantrip (poison spray), two bonus languages, and the ability to use animal friendship and suggestion with snakes? (Yuan-ti pureblood)

+1 to an ability score; darkvision; proficient with two martial weapons, proficiency with light armor; a +5 (or slightly less) bonus to an attack, ability check, or save once per short rest, and a bonus language? (Hobgoblin)

I would say each of those is worth more than a feat for a LOT of character concepts. And I could keep going like that for a long time. Variant humans don't dominate the game - not even for optimizers. They are a fine choice for some concepts, but not the only reasonably optimized choice for pretty much any character concept in terms of optimization.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Then let me make it clear. I think it's a terrible idea.

Fine, at least that is something.

You said you think most practical feat issues are due to the human variant in the OP. That's cool. I disagree with that but at least I offered you something to consider. It seems you dislike people playing humans because they get the bonus feat, well you've already said you like the idea of two +2 ASI's and two skills. If you're happy with that and your table all is behind it--problem solved.

You quoted me saying it could either be true or something else as evidence of me saying there is only one true answer...

Come on man. I know you disliked that response but if there was an issue with it - it isn't the issue you are claiming it was in this post.

Actually your telling me it is also possible I haven't thought through the impact on my own game is precisely part of what Mistwell was addressing ("everyone else who isn't seeing it like you just hasn't thought it through as well as you have "). Even Mistwell quoted the same response as an example.

If both of us see it as an example, and you don't, you might want to think about it some more.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The issue about a free feat being to strong to fast is still in place.
That Its not free - the Variant Human has a lot less going for it than most other races to 'pay for that feat has already been convincingly illustrated.
Delaying the feat (or some of its benefits) should address the "too fast" issue - and, since that'd make it pay-in-advance, make it more costly, as well.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
That's ridiculous. Anything I say is my opinion. Just because I don't put an IMO before or after it doesn't mean that's any less of the case.

Dude when it's combined with "sometimes they just haven't analyzed their games enough to really understand" it becomes something more than you just saying "IMO".

But from your answer, it sounds like you're not aware of how you're coming across. Something to think about maybe?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Very little impact other than the number of humans in a game would probably drop significantly.

I think standard is pretty “meh”, so I usually give them two skill proficiencies like half-elves get. Makes sense to me, otherwise why do half-elves get two? They should inherit something from their human side.

Since most people play the standard Human when given the chance, doubtful.

Oofta

Legend
I don't think it would make much difference.

However I completely disagree with the "no cost". They only get to add +1 to two different stats, most other races get +2 to one stat and a +1 to another stat along with other very useful benefits. Getting a +2 instead of a +1 can be pretty huge, especially if you use point buy.

A human might be able to counter the lack of darkvision with magic at some point (depending on if people can get night vision goggles goggles of the night) but every other race gets other really useful capabilities as well.

I've had a few variant humans in my games, I've never really noticed a big effect. Yes, we had the guy that took sharp shooter at first level. He missed a lot until he got to higher levels.

Last, why get so worked up when people disagree? You asked people what they think and they told you. Unless of course you're just trolling, people are going to disagree.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Since most people play the standard Human when given the chance, doubtful.
It'd be more accurate to say "human becomes a trap choice" than "no one would play a human," yes.

You'd still have plenty of human fighters named Bob, no matter how sub-optimal you made that race or class - or name, even.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It'd be more accurate to say "human becomes a trap choice" than "no one would play a human," yes.

You'd still have plenty of human fighters named Bob, no matter how sub-optimal you made that race or class - or name, even.

The standard Human is perfectly in line with the other Races, as has been pointed out. Not very sexy, but it lines up fine, and I have chosen standard Human when I've got all-odd rolls myself.

Remove ads