Bard Enhancements...

Moebius

First Post
I'm looking to beef up the bard a bit. I don't mean to make him in line with the other classes, or make him a melee expert, but just add to his arsenal a bit. As it is, a bard doesn't seem to have any good prestige classes (there's one in SaS), a couple of bardic songs, and bardic knowledge. That's it.

With that, I came up with these two new songs. Let me know if you think they are overpowering/unbalancing or whatnot.

Bard Songs:

Soothing Chant:
A bard with 6 or more ranks of perform may use song or poetics to continually heal her allies about her. During the duration of the song, allies affected gain back 1hp per round. Allies affected are 1 ally per level (bard is counted as an ally). This effect lasts only as long as the bard maintains it.

Confusing Discord
A bard with 6 or more ranks of perform may befuddle a target enemy. During the duration of the song, the target creature chosen by the bard suffers a penalty to attack and skill rolls. This is due to the harsh, slamming nature of the song played. The penalty is –1 per 3 levels, starting at 3rd. A 3rd level bard’s target suffers a –1, a 6th level bard’s –2, and so on. This effect lasts as long as the bard maintains it.

Post your own, people! let's get some new bard stuff out there!

Last edited:

Soothing Chant:
A bard with 6 or more ranks of perform may use song or poetics to continually heal her allies about her. During the duration of the song, allies affected gain back 1hp per round. Allies affected are 1 ally per level (bard is counted as an ally). This effect lasts only as long as the bard maintains it.

I would allow this with a few modifications. First It would be the ability to heal allies within one step of your alignment. The number of allies would be 1 ally/3 lv. The AoE would be centered on the caster 60' + 10' per caster level. A special condition would be that the ally who has incurred any damage that round cannot benefit from the song.

Also I know the bard can sing and fight in most situations. If the bard had to engage in melee combat the benefit from this ability would end.

Off subject: I also think the bard should be able to get synergy bonuses for combining certain perfom skills.

Just my opinion

Last edited:

StealthyMark

First Post
Soothing Chant:
IMO, this ability is good, but as written a little bit to powerful. The bard could easily heal 1,000 hp on level 10. Give it a maximum duration of 10 rounds and 1 ally per three levels, and require 8 ranks. The bard could still perform this several times. This is a supernatural, mind-affecting enchantment abiliy.
Confusing Discord
A bard with 6 or more ranks of perform may befuddle a target enemy. During the duration of the song, the target creature chosen by the bard suffers a penalty to attack and skill rolls. This is due to the harsh, slamming nature of the song played. The penalty is –1 per 3 levels, starting at 3rd. A 3rd level bard’s target suffers a –1, a 6th level bard’s –2, and so on. This effect lasts as long as the bard maintains it.
7 ranks. Give this ability the inverse effects of Inspire Courage: a -2 morale penalty on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a -1 morale penalty to attack and weapon damage rolls. This is a supernatural, mind-affecting abiliy.

Remove ads