D&D (2024) Bard Playtest discussion

Yaarel

He Mage
The UA finally distinguishes between "Perception" and "Investigation".

Perception is part of a Search Action. It applies to finding something "concealed".

Investigation is part of a Study Action. It applies to "traps and gadgetry" but also to the unrelated linguistic "cypher" and "riddles".

This correctly emphasizes how Perception applies to the senses only, not really how to interpret those sensations.

I would relocate the linguistic stuff of cyphers and riddles to History, which I have been using for all of the human sciences, relating to culture and language.

Otherwise, Investigation is something like the Engineering skill that has been missing from 5e, and responsible for gears, machinery, and traps.

Note, I have been using Nature in the sense of the four elements (solid, liquid, gas, and plasma) for physical sciences, including alchemy and material sciences, including building architecture and structures.

Yea, I'm not a fan of swapping to prepared spells in general, but I'm definitely not a fan of forcing prepared spells into certain spell levels. One of the strengths of the original 5e system was being able to underprepare spells for some levels to give you greater versatility in others. For a lot of my casters, I would only prep 1 or 2 1st level and 2nd level spells in order to have more options for higher level slots, I don't think losing that freedom is a positive.

I'd much rather have all casters be spells known, and swap out one spell on a long rest. Maybe give wizards some extra freedom with their spellbook, but every other caster should be spells known.
I think it’s a nice playtest tryout.
The forced spell selection by level is more straight forward for beginner, but less versatile for experimented players. In a way it’s a nerf for all caster, having less option for high level spell will indeed impact and nerf more experimented players.

in a way it’s a step back torward old vancian system.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Gonna make my comments on yours, because why not?

1) Changed from Simple + trad Bard weapons to just Simple weapons. Odd change because an awful lot of Bards use Rapiers, but a simplification.
Probably the Skald/Swords-type bards will get Rapier (actually, probably all Martial Weapons, which could be neat). Short Swords will have to do for the rest. (Simple weapons now!)

2) Bardic Inspiration changed to a Reaction on someone failing a roll or taking damage, which potentially makes it a lot more flexible and makes Bards very good at getting people up who just got downed. PB/long rest uses at L1, PB/short rest (so they do still exist!) from L7. Also at L7, if the roll a 1 it doesn't use up the Inspiration, nice!
Yeah, that's nice stuff. It's how we want to use it.

3) Spell Preparation. If I'm reading correctly this now works more like they're a Cleric/Druid? I.e. they choose what spells to prep from a list, and can change on a long rest, including cantrips. That's pretty big.

EDIT - It's a subset of the Arcane list, I see - Only Divination, Enchantment, Illusion or Transmutation. However this overall still feels like a buff.
Notice that Bards don't have any healing spells at level one? They have to use Bardic Inspiration for it.

4) Expertise in 2 skills at L2, 2 more at L9 nice.
Good stuff.

5) Songs of Restoration - Always have healing spells prepared so no excuse to not have them/cast them! Kind of seems like a 4E role vibe there, but certainly technically a buff.
Right. But at level 2. Also, no Cure Wounds.

6) Magical secrets - Now it's pick a spell LIST and you can memorize 2 spells from that. At 14th pick a different list and get the same. Simple, flexible and useful.
Interesting that it has to be a "different" list. So you'll know a bit from all 3 lists in the end. Cool.

7) Capstone is now 2 uses (up from 1) on rolling initiative and L18 like all capstones.
Good. I hope they make some capstones better too.

College of Lore (only subclass for now):

8) Still not available until L3 despite WotC saying this wasn't something they liked, interesting.
I think that's due to "backwards compatibility". There's only so much they can change. Personally I'm all for "change anything that will make the game better". But that's subjective. And I understand why they might want to keep as much the same as they can. Too bad, though.

9) Gives Arcana, History and Nature instead of letting you choose ensuring you can't be awful at knowing things lol.
The "knowledge" skills. Yeah. Makes sense.

10) Cutting Words is explicitly rolled after a SUCCESS, so that's great. Also does psychic damage from L10!
That's awesome. I like it.

11) Inspiration dice are rolled with Advantage from L6 lol nice.
Yup. That's nice too.

12) Peerless Skill changed to be "after you fail" instead of the ludicrous "before the DM says if you succeed or fail" approach.
Yeah much better. Blah blah DM says blah.

Overall my impression?

I don't have any complaints. This is a straight upgrade that addresses virtually all the major issues with Bard gameplay. Yes, it is slightly more restrictive, in that it's forcing you to be competent at your role, but I had no problem with that in 4E and have no problem with it here.
Seems good to me. I'm on board so far.

Yaarel

He Mage
When creating a Bard character, the Bard should choose either Verbal or Somatic. This then counts for all spell components and the spellcasting focus for every Bard spell.

Many Bard concepts lack a musical instrument. For those concepts that have one, a musical instrument can then substitute instead of this method, thus casting spells only by means of the instrument and no other requirement.

Note. The Bard should never use a material component, except if choosing to use an instrument to replace all spell components.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
It is odd that Songs of Restoration casts healing spells, but the Prepared Spells cannot access the Abjuration school.

Probably the Bard spell schools should be: Abjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Illusion, and Transmutation.

Chaosmancer

Legend
There is a lot of this I'm on the fence about, but one thing in particular I haven't seen mentioned here yet.

You can no longer use Bardic Inspiration and Cutting Words in the same round. It used to be that you could hand off a bardic inspiration on your turn and then cutting words as your reaction. With them both being reactions now, this isn't possible.

And, really... this is a nasty bit of choice to make. Do you use bardic inspiration to make an attack hit? Do you save it to cutting words an attack to miss? Do you save it to bardic healing someone who may drop? You only get two of these per day by third level, and this a massive choice. It doesn't feel like it would be satisfying, just reading through it.

I also feel like a large number of bards will choose Primal for their magical secrets. It will open up blasting, control and I think revival spells for them, and that's everything you may want from the other two lists.

Chaosmancer

Legend
It is odd that Songs of Restoration casts healing spells, but the Prepared Spells cannot access the Abjuration school.

Probably the Bard spell schools should be: Abjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Illusion, and Transmutation.

That is an intentional design choice though, to not give them abjuration (shield, mage armor, ect) and to still give them healing.

Remember, if they get Divine or Primal from Magical secrets, they get healing spells, but even if they gained Abjuration, the Arcane list doesn't have healing spells.

Haplo781

Legend
The UA finally distinguishes between "Perception" and "Investigation".

Perception is part of a Search Action. It applies to finding something "concealed".

Investigation is part of a Study Action. It applies to "traps and gadgetry" but also to the unrelated linguistic "cypher" and "riddles".

This correctly emphasizes how Perception applies to the senses only, not really how to interpret those sensations.

I would relocate the linguistic stuff of cyphers and riddles to History, which I have been using for all of the human sciences, relating to culture and language.

Otherwise, Investigation is something like the Engineering skill that has been missing from 5e, and responsible for gears, machinery, and traps.

Note, I have been using Nature in the sense of the four elements (solid, liquid, gas, and plasma) for physical sciences, including alchemy and material sciences, including building architecture and structures.
Still missing Streetwise/Gather Information.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases