• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battlestar Galactica returns! (Possible spoilers leaked)

Whodat

First Post
Important details were recently released concerning the new Battlestar Galactica series in development.

http://www.filmjerk.com/archives/0212/021203galactica.html

I remember the original Battlestar Galactica, and was a big fan of the series. I also remember being disappointed when the show was cancelled after only its first season.

As much as I loved the original show, and as excited as I was in hearing about it’s potential return, I’m not sure whether I like the changes that the creators have wrought in some of the principal characters.

Nor am I thrilled by the “visionary” documentary-style filming technique that they are considering as discussed in the follow-up article:

http://www.filmjerk.com/archives/0212/021208galactica.html

According to the information at the bottom of the page, it appears that the show will be airing on the Sci-Fi channel, in March of 2003. If this were true, would this series already be in production?
(Considering that: the producers must have something to show the network; the network must garner support from sponsors; the episodes must go into post-production for special effects, etc.)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Well, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. All I can say is that I know of Ron D Moore's work on DS9 and on the short-lived Roswell.

All they need is a proper cast with great chemistry, especially the female who will be cast as "Starbuck." She needs to be strong and sexy like Kira Nerys. The first person who comes to mind is Kirsten(sp?) Cloke who was the leader of an air squadron in FOX's Above and Beyond.

Of course, it would help to get support from the original cast, such as Richard Hatch, in front of or behind the camera.

Crothian

First Post
Richard Hatch has been trying to get this off the ground for many years. I volunteer at Marcon, a Sci Fi convention here in Columbus and every year for as long as I remember he was laways there hosting a panel and saying how close this was to happening. And then he came back the next year and proclaim he was still close.

Personally, I'm not a fan of his. He did fine in the show but he was not the nicest guest I've meet at conventions. It is actually much worse then that, but no need going over that here.

I hope this actually happens like I've been told it will every spring for about ten years.

Whodat

First Post
The idea of bringing BG back has been recycled so many times it’s hard to follow which ideas are in production. I’m going with the “wait and see” approach for now.

Has anyone heard anything about this series actually being made? According to those articles, the first few episodes should already be complete (at least the pilot episode by now), yet I have heard nothing about who is actually starring in the final product.

It’s strange that Richard Hatch has put so much effort into keeping this project alive over the years (even more than Glen Larson, the series creator), then the Powers That Be suddenly drop all support when this project gets picked up.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Despite Richard Hatch's effort, he didn't get any official support from Universal. He was simply trying to pitch to them that he's qualified to helm a new BSG project. It was a publicity campaign.

Last edited:

Starbuck is a chick now?

That is just some horribly pathetic PC crap.

Considering that the real Starbuck was the best character on the show I can only say one thing to this remake. I hope it dies a quite horribly painful death.

I hate when they do crap like this.

Black Omega

First Post
Yes, I remember watching a Battlestar Galatica special where Dirk Benedict made the comment that Richard Hatch caused alot of trouble with scripts by literally counting the number of lines Apollo and Starbuck had and then complaining if the number of lines wasn't fairly even.

Battlestar Galactica was a series I enjoyed far more as a little kid. Watching it now and noticing that the Ceylon Imperial Command's chair rotated because the guy in the costume was shuffling his feet is a little disconcerting.

I definitely hope if it is revived they update the series, though. No cute kid with cute robotic dog. Stronger female characters. Though i'll give them credit. Considering it was nearly a kids show, they did have a pros...er...socialator(sp) as a main character.:)

Whodat

First Post
Apparently Ronald Moore’s new “re-imagined” series is stirring a resistance movement amongst fanatics of the original series.

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/features/revival/index.html

At this time there are four – count them, four! – different online petitions that they are encouraging loyalists to sign.

I wonder if these people realize that Sci-Fi has a sinister (and well-deserved) reputation of turning its back on large fan-based demonstrations and online petitions. It’s as though Sci-Fi’s attitude regarding the whole Save Farscape movement was ‘You’ll either continue to watch our channel, or you won’t.’

But that’s a topic for another discussion.

I imagine that Sci-Fi will probably show the same lack of concern for this movement.

Remove ads