Beholder (and others) eye rays

FANGO

First Post
Oooh...I wanna metamagic spell-like abilities...that way my gnome can 1500x extend his speak with animals and have it all day long! Woohoo!!

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
FANGO said:
Oooh...I wanna metamagic spell-like abilities...that way my gnome can 1500x extend his speak with animals and have it all day long! Woohoo!!

Ah, but gnomes don't have spell-like abilities. What you describe is a spell.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Geoff Watson said:

All at once, Every round. That is sickeningly powerful.

Sickeningly powerful for a PC.

Gleefully powerful for a DM! :D

These guys are so much fun. And my party is reaching the high levels... It soon gonna be beholder time! Yay!

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Mal Malenkirk said:
These guys are so much fun. And my party is reaching the high levels... It soon gonna be beholder time! Yay!

You'll just love the thread I'll start on the Rogue's Gallery soon... full of beholder goodness! You see, the beholder queen has developed a new type of (non-beholder) guard for her underground lair... ;)

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

You'll just love the thread I'll start on the Rogue's Gallery soon... full of beholder goodness! You see, the beholder queen has developed a new type of (non-beholder) guard for her underground lair... ;)

You gotta love beholders; they are not only powerful, they are also slavers! And megalomaniacs! And xenophopic! *drool*

You can be sure I'll take a look at your thread in Rogue's gallery.

Last edited:

Gromm

First Post
Basically it means they are like ray attacks in that they require a ranged touch attack to take effect.
Otherwise they are not spells and as such not able to meta magicked. Though I suppose a powerful beholder mage could make a spell that allowed its rays to be effected in such a way.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Mal Malenkirk said:
You can be sure I'll take a look at your thread in Rogue's gallery.

I'll put a link here once I post the thread. I'm not sure if it should go under the Rogue's Gallery or the Plots forum...

gfunk

First Post
A couple of weeks ago our party ran into a couple of Beholders in a long Underdark passageway. We had a Ftr 1/Clr 13, Clr 13, Mnk 12, Rog 10/Wiz 1/Arcane Archer 2 and Sor 12 (me). The Beholders had a Hill Giant, four Ogres and a covey of Hags with them. When both of them shined their Anti-Magic cone on us, we freaked out! All of our magically granted Darkvision went down the toilet. We were blind and about to be pounded into the ground by the Beholder's minions!

Thankfully our Rogue, Monk, and Ftr/Clr moved forward to engage. Unfortunately, one of the hags grappled our Ftr/Clr and the Hill Giant bashed him into oblivion. Thankfully, our Rogue and Monk have ungodly high non-magical AC so they were able to survive until the Clr 13 and me were able to back out of the ray, teleport behind the beholders and wipe 'em out.

Still, we have learned to fear Beholders.

*SHUDDERS*

Remove ads