Beholder (and others) eye rays

Wippit Guud

First Post
MM pg 25:
"Each ray resembles a spell cast by a 13th level sorcerer but folows the rules for a ray"

Does that mean metamagic will affect them as it would affect a ray spell, so he could split it, or even maximize it?

StealthyMark

First Post
There are no rules on metamagicking spell-like abilities. How would a beholder spend a higher level spell slot for a Eye Ray? Even a zero-level-increase Metamagic like Energy Substitution is not possible, except for the DM by altering the monster, or creating very limited feats.

Dieter

First Post
While evil and underhanded as it is, I'm guessing it's legal from the perspective of a "by the book" GM. I personally wouldn't use it since a Beholder is wicked enough without the benefit of meta-magic-ing its attacks.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I really doubt that "resembles" is supposed to mean "is the same in all respects as" in this case. The comment is there to let you know the durations of the effects and the like. The beast is not a sorceror, and the rays are not spells, per se. If it isn't a spell, you cannot use a metamagic feat on it.

hong

WotC's bitch
Wippit Guud said:
I guess I just don't find a beholder is CR 13... was loooking for ways to make them a bit better.

You don't think that being able to charm, cause fear, disintegrate, petrify, and finger of death at will makes them good enough?

zorlag

First Post
zorlag

Weapon Focus (Ray), Improved Critical (Ray), Precise Shot etc. There are nice feats for beholder to take to enhanced ray effects.

Z.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
You think beholders are underpowered? Either you've missed something in the description, or you've got some overpowered PCs. The nominal 13th-level party should start crapping its armor if they spot one of these guys.

Wizards and other caster-types will be taking Inflict Moderate Wounds, plus the Fortitude effects like Finger of Death and Flesh to Stone. Warrior-types will be rolling lots of Will saves against Fear, Slow, and Telekinesis. Meanwhile the beholder will be hovering 100' in the air, and anyone who tries to fly up for melee will be antimagicked right back to the ground.

If you can't kill off at least two of your PCs with this beast, you're just not trying.

Remove ads