• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 2nd Ed. Site Based Adventures

DemonKing

First Post
Ummm...guys I think he was after 2nd Ed. modules.

I actually miss 2nd Ed. a bit. Perhaps the game logic and consistency wasn't quite as advanced as in 3rd ed. but stat blocks and NPCs were an awful lot easier to generate and it was kind of fun to add stuff in with the kits and player's option stuff.

Anyway, some of my favourite 2nd Ed. modules that I've dmed:

* A Paladin in Hell (awesome, imaginative extra-planar settings)
* Silver Key (whole party goes undercover as polymorphed orcs)
* City of Skulls (awesome rescue mission)
* Jungles of Chult (got to drop the PCs unarmed into a ravine containing an Allosaurus)

As a player, I fondly remember "Road to Urik" (Dark Sun) which contained some amazing roleplaying encounters with multiple solutions as the players helped recruit and join an army marching to war.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
DemonKing said:
Ummm...guys I think he was after 2nd Ed. modules.

Well, a suggestion for 1st was made and I said "go for it."

I actually miss 2nd Ed. a bit. Perhaps the game logic and consistency wasn't quite as advanced as in 3rd ed. but stat blocks and NPCs were an awful lot easier to generate and it was kind of fun to add stuff in with the kits and player's option stuff.

I am in a wierd place regarding 3e right now. As much as there are things about the game i love to death, and find it very fun to play, I am hitting soem creative and practical roadblocks running it. As I re-read my RC, my AD&D1 books and my 2nd Ed books, I realize that the extra-good things about 3e are, by and large, not quite enough to make those roadblocks worth it. Note that this is for me, the way I run game, and the kind of D&D I enjoy as a DM in particular. I am not trying to start an edition war.

Anyway, the reason I was asking about site based adventures specifically is because I like the idea of developinga campaign area and a general view of cultures and politics and whatnot, and then populating it with fairly static adventures locales that I can use for whatever prupose I like, or allow the PCs to explore what they like. Having a good old fashioned dungeon in hex R24 is useful: I can create an adventure in which something is down there in room 314 that someone wants, an adventure in which the villain is hiding out there, or any number of other options. But the dungeon is done and would require only a minimum of effort on my part to make fit the campaign. Adventures built heavily on plot, or designed for existing worlds, or with too many built in assumptions aren't as useful for this purpose.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads