• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best D&D Adventures

Crothian

First Post
Of Sound Mind: Piratecat wrote this and I'm still waiting for the sequal!! I've ran two D&D campaigns since the module was written and I have used it in both campaigns, the only module written for 3ed that I've done that with. It is creative and fun and a little bit off which realyl helps it.

Tomb of Horrors: I know it is a meat grinder and has huge problems with the new school way of gaming. But it is one of the few modules I try to run for each new group because I think it is important for people to know what gaming used to be like.

Sinister Secret of Salt Marsh: This is a very good little mystery and investigation. It doesn't feel like a typical dungeon crawl and it isn't.

White Plume Mountain: I like the odd rooms and the wierdness of the module. The weapons are classic and I run this one a lot.

The Dragonfiend Pact: Of all the DCC's this is my favorite. It has a lot of neat encounters and creative uses of a dungeon for a first level party.

Jhaelen

First Post
Wow, I have a hard time coming up with 5 adventures I REALLY liked. I dislike most of the 'classic' D&D adventures and I mostly dislike the traditional dungeon-crawl adventures.

I guess, Red Hand of Doom is among the top five.
Forge of Fury was pretty good despite being just an extended dungeon crawl.
Standing Stone was mostly good but required lots of customization.

I vaguely remember several pretty good mystery-type adventures from DSA and at least one from Midgard: 'Smaskrifter' comes to my mind.

All of the really outstanding adventures I remember have been written by one of my friends or myself. I guess, I shouldn't be surprised about this, but I never really thought about this before...

darkbard

Legend
The Banewarrens (Malhavoc)
The Night of Dissolution (Malhavoc)
The Whispering Cairn (Paizo-Dungeon mag)
The Styes (Paizo-Dungeon mag)
Burnt Offerings (Paizo-Pathfinder 1).

I surprise myself by not listing anything by WotC in my top 5. Speaker in Dreams was quite a fun adventure, but not quite as good as any of the above.

Festivus

First Post
Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh - Just mix Shaggy, Scooby and the gang with weapons and spells, comes complete with lots of suspects and a creepy haunted house. It's a fun adventure, even translated to 3rd edition. Hmm, perhaps I'll do a 4E version of it... skill challenges could be really fun in that setting.

The Isle of Dread - Dinosaurs in D&D?!? Awesome! I was recently reminded of this when I ran Here There Be Monsters from the Savage Tide module, and I forgot how really cool the Isle of Dread could be. I remember when I was young and read this, my reaction was listed above.

The Village of Hommlet - How many adventures have kicked off from this little village and explored the nearby moathouse? Classic adventure in every sense of the word.

Siege of the Spider Eaters - This short adventure from Dungeon magazine is still one of my favorites. I love those sorts of adventures that involve intrigue.

The Whispering Cairn - Another great low level adventure that pits the group against all sorts of problems, both dungeon and town related.

Arnwyn

First Post
These are off the top of my head (as I'm at work without access to my collection), and there's a bit of cheating here, but:

1) Savage Tide AP
2) GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders
3) Lost City of Barakus
4) Shackled City AP
5) The Red Hand of Doom

Obryn

Hero
(1) Temple of Elemental Evil. Strictly awesome, and everything an adventure should be, imho.

(2) The Banewarrens. Another huge, sprawling adventure with intrigue and combat aplenty.

(3) While I'd love to say GDQ1-7, I'll limit myself to just D1-3, which IMHO was the heart of the adventure.

-O

Remove ads