• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Love Songs (and "your" songs)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
reveal said:
Was Footloose based on your town?

Heh...it's really not that uncommon in this part of the state. I've dj'd proms where the school had to go to another town for the dances. I remember once in college going to a street dance with some friends who lived in a town where dancing was banned by an old city ordinance. The dance was held in the parking lot of a local restaurant. The city limits line bisected the parking lot almost exactly in half, and the cops sat on the "city" side and arrested ANYone who accidentally danced across the line.

Edit: In an attempt to steer this train back on track, to this day I can't hear "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler or "Rainbow Eyes" by Blackmore's Rainbow without tripping and falling face first on Memory Lane. These were the "our songs" for two long ago and far away ex-girlfriends from my misspent and checkered past, and to this day I wonder where life took them, and hope it treated them well.

Last edited:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
reveal said:
This reminds me of that commercial where the wedding party was in a closet watching football. The bride walks in and everyone gets quiet. Then she asks "Who's winning?" and sits down. One of the guys cries and says "You're a lucky man" to the groom. :lol:
Yep! The only difference would be her all pissed at not only me, but most of my family, her folks, and most of our friends. She's one of the few non-sports freaks in the family!

Kane

Kanegrundar

Explorer
DungeonmasterCal said:
Heh...it's really not that uncommon in this part of the state. I've dj'd proms where the school had to go to another town for the dances. I remember once in college going to a street dance with some friends who lived in a town where dancing was banned by an old city ordinance. The dance was held in the parking lot of a local restaurant. The city limits line bisected the parking lot almost exactly in half, and the cops sat on the "city" side and arrested ANYone who accidentally danced across the line.
That is one of the weirdest stories I've heard in a while!

Crothian

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
My thoughts exactly! If it was a big MU game, both sides would be watching it. My soon to be wife would still be pissed, but at least not just at me!!!

Ya, it would be like getting married on the OSU Michigan game around here. You should know if your soon to be husband/wife is a sports fan and plan the wedding around that.

Wyn A'rienh

First Post
Me and my love aren't married (yet), so there's no first dance song (yet). This song would probably be "our song" currently, though I don't know that it would be our first dance song. If that makes any sense at all.

Etcetera Whatever by Over the Rhine

Don't speak.
Words come out your eyes.
You're wet with this nightmare.
Like thorns you hold these secrets to your breast,
your slender fingers closing into fists.

Trace your bruise
like a guilty streak.
Hold the pain.
You're a connoisseur.
You think you have no other gift to give,
but we have so much left to live.

We don't need a lot of money.
We'll be sleeping on the beach,
keeping oceans within reach.
(Whatever private oceans we can conjure up for free.)
I will stumble there with you
and you'll be laughing close with me,
trying not to make a scene
etcetera. Whatever. I guess all I really mean

is we're gonna be alright.
Yeah, we're gonna be alright.
You can close your eyes tonight,
'cause we're gonna be alright.

So come on now,
I can almost see
that place
on a distant shore.
And courage is a weapon we must use
to find some life you can't refuse.

We don't need a lot of money.
We'll be sleeping on the beach,
keeping oceans within reach.
(Whatever private oceans we can conjure up for free.)
I will stumble there with you
and you'll be laughing close with me,
trying not to make a scene
etcetera. Whatever. I guess all I really mean

is we're gonna be alright.
Yeah, we're gonna be alright.
You can close your eyes tonight,
'cause we're gonna be alright.
All that I can see is your eyes.
Close your eyes.
Close your eyes.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Crothian said:
Ya, it would be like getting married on the OSU Michigan game around here. You should know if your soon to be husband/wife is a sports fan and plan the wedding around that.
My thoughts exactly.

devilbat

First Post
The songs we danced to at our wedding was Where are you going? by Dave Matthews band and Never tear us apart by Inxs. There is a third, but it was her pick, and I hate it, so I've erased it from the brain.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
"Our songs" are notable not for being the best love songs ever but simply because they mark the two most important points in our relationship.

The first is Phil Collins version of "Groovy Kind of Love" because it was played at the homecoming dance that wound up being our first date (I say "wound up" because we went as "friends" and wound up kissin' on the dance floor.).

The other is Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" because it was the theme song from Say Anything. We watched this movie on what was to be one of our last dates. As the summer after high school graduation came to an end, we planned on breaking up when we went to different colleges. Seeing that movie struck a chord in our young hearts and we decided that our relationship might not last through college but we would go down swinging rather than give up on it. We both regard this as the smartest thing we ever did. This Friday will mark the 17th anniversary of our first date and will also mark the unofficial point at which we will have spend more than half our lives together (we're both 34).

As for our wedding reception, it is regarded by us and many other people we know as "the funnest wedding reception they've ever been to". We had barbecue catered to her parent's big back yard in the country, a keg of Rolling Rock, a live band from the Florida Keys and lots and lots of dancing. At one point in the mid-eveing my mother approached me and said, "There are a number of folks who are probably ready to leave but are waiting for the bride and groom to make their exit." I addressed the crowd over the sound system and said, "Please don't hang around on our account. If you need to go, go. But we're having way too much fun to leave the party now!"

Then we continued to dance the night away to covers of Jimmy Buffett, Garth Brooks and Hank Williams Jr. songs. It rained like hell as we danced under the tents. By the end of the night several of our friends (most of them part of the wedding party) had their shoes off and pants rolled up/dresses hiked up, dancing in the mud.

When you start out a marriage like that, how can things not be wonderful?! ;)

reveal

Adventurer
Rel said:
The other is Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" because it was the theme song from Say Anything. We watched this movie on what was to be one of our last dates.

Why do I picture you, standing in the rain at your wedding, with a boom box over your head blasting this song? :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads