D&D 5E Best Parts of SCAG

FedeII

First Post
As a player (relatively) new to the FR, i particularly liked the deities section. It manages to stay brief while being interesting and flavorful. Also, all the gods' symbols are gorgeous!

The backgrounds are great too, they are a very good way to integrate roleplay into mechanics, therefore the more the better!

I also have a strange love for sidebars.....don't know exactly why..

Leugren

First Post
I really like the new Backgrounds. In particular, I like the City Watch and Mercenary Veteran backgrounds as flavorful alternatives to the Soldier background, but with features that are more likely to factor into everyday situations. I also like the Urban Bounty Hunter background as an alternative to the Criminal background for those of a less larcenous bent.

For me, it's the crunch. Sun Soul got me excited to play a monk. Arcana Domain turned out to be quite usable in melee, thanks to GFB/BB. Swashbuckler is my new favorite Rogue subclass, capitalizing on Magic Initiate to get the Sorcerer/Warlock versions of GFB.

I also like how easy it is to follow the fluff as a FR newbie.

manduck

Explorer
I really like the different organizations they mention in various sections of the book. For example, when you look at the Ordained Knight or Mercenary Veteran backgrounds, they give several examples of organizations that fit those backgrounds. I especially liked the merc group Silent Rain. I really liked the Gods and worship sections of the book. The subclasses were all pretty interesting and fun. The book did a great job of blending the flavor of the FR with some cool crunch options. I really liked the "other worlds" section that described using the content in other game worlds. I really like this book and it turned out to be a perfect fit for my group. We just started a FR game and the content really helped add some FR flavor to our characters.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know this is supposed to be a positive thread but ...

So, you knew it wasn't very appropriate, but you did it anyway? Ask yourself why folks should listen to you, if you're not listening to them?

There was no need to put this here - we have other threads for such feedback, or you could have created your own. When folks ask to have a "dumping free zone" It'd be really, really cool if others respected that request.

Mercule

Adventurer
I like two things about the book:

1) It's just enough information that someone who doesn't want to build their own setting (or wants a launching point for doing so) can actually make use of it, even if they don't want to go all-in on something with more historical information than some real-world civilizations.

2) It bridges the gap between throwing out existing books (by virtue of replacing them) and leaving the setting without an anchor for the current edition.

I have a 25 year, standing ban on buying anything related to the Realms. It started out because I found the setting lackluster, if appropriately detailed, and morphed into disdain of specific elements (key NPCs) and the overwhelming amount of detail from stacks of game source-books and poorly written (IMO) novels. I'm very impressed that 5E continually challenges my resolve on that ban. Right now, it remains in place because I want to send a message to WotC to support other settings. If they telegraph a commitment of official support for another setting, I'll relent and pick up SCAG.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I like how it ties each subclass to the setting. I also like how each class section used whatever structure it needed instead of some bid for symmetry.

Remove ads