D&D 5E Best Parts of SCAG

gyor

Legend
The best part of SCAG was that as soon as I got it, both the campaign I'm running and the campaign I'm playing in had the majority of their characters be modified (either in minor or significant ways), or be replaced entirely, by options presented in the book. The fact that happened showed both the utility and the value of the book.

Specific things I liked:

I liked the very nice run-down of the various gods of the setting - each entry was just about the perfect length, giving a good overview without getting bogged down in detail. And the holy symbol artwork that accompanied them was very well done. I liked that the non-human deities weren't just consigned to lists, but got extra (though brief) descriptions later in the book in the sections on each race.

I liked the "unreliable narrator" vibe of the geography section. Has that gnome sailor actually been to Evermeet, or is it a sailor's tall tale (note that the whole section has nary a actual hard detail of what she saw in Evermeet)? Are the Zhentarim of Darkhold and the realm of Elturgard really as nice as that elf ranger reported, or did she naively ignore (or was steered away from) some of their potentially less savory aspects? I'd love to see the rest of the setting described in such a way in potential future Adventurer's Guides (come on an Adventurer's Guide covering the greater AL region, i.e north-central Faerun!).

I liked getting the most comprehensive update on the Moonshaes since the FR2 accessory in freakin' 1987!

I very much want a decent update on the Old Empires now - not only haven't they been detailed in decades, there are some really interesting new dynamics there now. Although I'm by no means fond of the 4e changes to the setting, I'm glad they kept part of Tymanther around in the region.

And I very much enjoyed the entire final section of the book on races, classes, and backgrounds. As I said, I, and the people I play the game with, have already gotten their money worth just from these chapters alone.

if your curious about what's happening in the Old Empire Erin M. Evans upcoming book Ashes of the Tyrant is based in Tymanther during this period roughly, I suggest reading the preview chapter, the link is in the Ashes of the Tyrant thread.

Anyways yeah the regions I'm personally most interested in are after reading the SCAG, are the Old Empires region, Myth Nantar, Evermeet, Lantan, Nimbral, Vaasa.

I'm also glad that the Warlock Knights of Vaasa survived.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Have to say that my favourite bit is the Arcana domain for Clerics -- with the simple addition of wizard cantrips, it's possible to build a viable "laser cleric" which has been absent from 5e from the start of the play test until now.

Woo hoo, diversity. Woo hoo, classic builds being supported.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
As an Eberron DM, I was concerned about this book. I knew I'd have to buy it anyway (I run too much Adventurers League), but my gaming budget isn't enough that I don't weigh every dollar.

My concerns turned out to be completely unnecessary.

This book has fantastic options. I love the Swashbuckler (the mechanics of the class features lead to exactly the sort of action I want to see a Swashbuckler do), the Arcana domain (having Magic gods just use "Knowledge" was kind of lackluster), the Oath of the Crown, and the expanded options for tieflings. I didn't care for the Half-Elf options (what, half-elves aren't special enough on their own?!?), but that's really the only quibble I have with the content -- and it's a sidebar. I was especially jazzed by the "Other Realms" section, which made the material instantly usable in my home campaign (as I said before, Eberron).

Allen J. Oh

First Post
Both of the new monk subclasses look great. I'm having a hard time settling on one for my 3rd level Adventurer's League monk -- I played as a Long Death monk in my last session, but may respec to a Sun Soul. Both options seem appealing.

The Arcana cleric domain also looks really cool. I like the general idea of expanding the domain options, and the Magic domain from Pathfinder has always been one that I liked thematically, and I'm glad that I can make do it in D&D too.

And while it's just a sidebar, I really like the variant half-elves that are not just cosmetically but also mechanically different from one another.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I agree with many above. New options for world specific sub-classes and backgrounds is my favorite. It is nice to learn more about the areas in the Sword Coast without overkill, but when it comes down to it, I like the fluff and crunch of the character options best. It is also the stuff that we got to playtest so I know it will add interesting choices that work.

Huntsman57

First Post
- Letters and numerals

- coinage slang

- written as if the author was speaking of their own experiences

- Tieflings

- Spellsinger

- booming blade

- Long Death monk

Remove ads