• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blackguard Design & Development is up.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
The latest Design and Development article is up and together with some discussion offers a preview of a few powers and a PP for this striker variant of the paladin.

Interesting preview. One thing that I notice is that several of the blackguard's effects work on all creatures. So for instance anyone standing next to the Servant of Vice grants CA, even allies! That could be rather interesting...

Maybe it is just because I haven't seen the whole package, but I am decidedly underwhelmed by what they have presented so far. The level 4 utility, for example, is really not all that useful except in non-combat, and then it is only remotely useful.

The Fury paragon power is kinda nice. You smack me? Well, guess what? I smack you back, and now you're dazed, fool!!!

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
The level 4 utility, for example, is really not all that useful except in non-combat, and then it is only remotely useful.

How is this not useful in combat? All creatures adjacent to it grant you combat advantage. And if they want to strip you of CA they have to waste at least one attack on your servant.

And the non-combat use can be very interesting. The answer to any question? That's invaluable in most games I play and run.

And just ask it your questions during combat and you get both uses out of the same power.

gyor

Legend
A none thief rogue would love having the easy ca and most bgs won't be good at knowledge checks so the sov will be useful.

Still I'd rather feats that grant more powerful fiends then mounts as you can just get the cavalier power and feats.

Actually what could be cool is feats that turn the bgs servant of vice into a powerful servant of virtue and the cavs mount into a fiendish mount.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I'm glad they're exploring different 'out of combat' options for these classes. It adds a a lot of flavor and is very useful in many campaigns - and this particular utility has a nice little combat kicker to boot. I liked the hexblade summons and the wilderness knacks as well. Good on them for doing it.

They are really on an explorers trip. I like where they are going to with design. Little things, like powers of higher levels that replace powers of lower level actually are usually better versions of those powers. (I guess those that have no upgrades, had their updates cut for brevity... like one power of the druid that is missing) The paladin is very good example how it can work out: two real dailies, and his 3rd, the one he misses at level 1 is filled up with his avatar form.

A wizard does not replace its powers. Little things, but tackling real issues of the system.

ffy

First Post
wasnt the blackguard supposed to be a class that uses temporary hitpoints (that he gains from class features or abilities) to power stronger abilities?

The Little Raven

First Post
wasnt the blackguard supposed to be a class that uses temporary hitpoints (that he gains from class features or abilities) to power stronger abilities?

Yes, and this preview doesn't dispell that belief, since it shows a tiny fraction of one build of the class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads