D&D General Bob World Builder Recreates WOTC's "Do You Like Me?" Survey!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It's because WotC lost a lot of people's trust when they pulled the OGL nonsense last January, so now people are panicky and overreacting to things. That's still 100% WotC's own fault. This wouldn't be happening now if they didn't destroy the community's trust back then. WotC needs to do some actual work on rebuilding / regaining the community's trust, then maybe some of this will settle down.
You're not wrong, but it's unfair to hang that entirely on Wizards of the Coast. The community bears some responsibility for that reconstruction effort, as well. I'd argue that we bear most of that responsibility, in fact.

Yes, Wizards of the Coast has created a rift in the community with the OGL. But when we confronted them with it, they took immediate steps to rectify it and dropped it. (Not only dropping it, but putting it in the Creative Commons.) And ever since then--well. Let me just say that it's not Wizards of the Coast who's stalking around on Reddit and ENWorld and elsewhere, yelling at people and calling them names. Wizards of the Coast isn't squeezing out YouTube video after YouTube video about how bad and terrible and evil everything is. That's on us.

Wizards of the Coast has a lot of work to do, to restore good faith in the gaming community. And so do we.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
That's the problem, we don't know if the result will be similar or not. Bob's not asking the same people or messaging via the same channels. Bob's survey cannot be used to predict WotC's answers because they aren't targeting the same group of people. You're getting the result of people who watch Bob's channel, nothing more.
I know, I am not sure how different that means the result will be however… my guess is not all that much

I learned about both polls here for example

overgeeked

B/X Known World
What they could do to rebuild that trust -- which doesn't equate to "publish 5E campaign settings based on what I like when I was 13 years old" -- would be an interesting thread.
It would. Though publishing 5E campaign settings based on what I liked when I was 13-years-old would help. Depending on how badly the butchered the setting.
If nothing else, they do have to try, which they haven't seemed to do so far, although that does seem to be why they are doing that "do you hate us" survey.
Exactly. They're doing the survey to see if they've generally been forgiven yet. Likely to test the waters for whether they need to bother even trying to rebuild trust.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
You're not wrong, but it's unfair to hang that entirely on Wizards of the Coast. The community bears some responsibility for that reconstruction effort, as well. I'd argue that we bear most of that responsibility, in fact.
Not really, no.

If a friend of yours breaks your trust, it's not on you to rebuild your trust in them. It's on your friend to rebuild your trust in them.

It's no different here. We bear zero responsibility for WotC's actions (or lack thereof). It's 100% on them to rebuild our trust in them.
Yes, Wizards of the Coast has created a rift in the community with the OGL. But when we confronted them with it, then they took immediate steps to rectify it and dropped it.
Right. They threatened to destroy the 3PP ecosystem then backed off. But the fact that they threatened to do so is what broke the community's trust in WotC. To date, WotC has done almost nothing to try to regain the community's trust. The disaster that was the creator summit made things worse. Dropping the SRD into CC-BY was a stopgap to show they couldn't destroy the 3PP ecosystem, not an attempt to regain trust.

“If you stick a knife in my back nine inches and pull it out six inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out that's not progress. Progress is healing the wound that the blow made. And they haven't even pulled the knife out much less healed the wound.” ―Malcolm X
And ever since then--well. Let me just say that it's not Wizards of the Coast who's stalking around on Reddit and ENWorld and elsewhere, yelling at people and calling them names. Wizards of the Coast isn't squeezing out YouTube video after YouTube video about how bad and terrible and evil everything is. That's on us.
Yes, because WotC broke our trust. They 100% deserve all of it. Once they start trying to regain our trust as a community, then...and only then...does that stuff become uncalled for.
Wizards of the Coast has a lot of work to do, to restore good faith in the gaming community.
Yes, they do.
And so do we.
No, we don't. The community owes them exactly nothing.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm saying that our community owes it to itself, to stop treating each other like garbage. The way we treat each other is on us.
As individuals to each other, sure. Companies are different. They're not people, regardless of what the Supreme Court says. We owe it to each other to not be jerks, sure. We don't owe WotC, or any other corporation for that matter, the same consideration. We owe the people who work there that consideration, but not the company. You and I squabbling is covered by Wheaton's Law. Someone smack talking WotC is not.

Vaalingrade

Legend

Yes, Wizards of the Coast has created a rift in the community with the OGL. But when we confronted them with it, they took immediate steps to rectify it and dropped it. (Not only dropping it, but putting it in the Creative Commons.) And ever since then--well. Let me just say that it's not Wizards of the Coast who's stalking around on Reddit and ENWorld and elsewhere, yelling at people and calling them names. Wizards of the Coast isn't squeezing out YouTube video after YouTube video about how bad and terrible and evil everything is. That's on us.

Wizards of the Coast has a lot of work to do, to restore good faith in the gaming community. And so do we.
I mean, they totally held up their promise buy... ~checks notes~ still not releasing the older editions SRDs in CC like they said and also doing even more stupid corpo crap for people to be upset by.

But that's on us.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Well, I'm not an insider or expert. For all I know, we're on the cusp of a major sea change, and all we need to do is just yell at Wizards of the Coast a little bit more. (shrug) It'd still be nice to be able to enjoy things without people yelling at me for enjoying them.

Remove ads