D&D 5E Boop

What is the best Chassis for a 5e Warlord class?

• Artificer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Sorcerer

• Druid

• Wizard

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 9 14.5%

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I voted Ranger. It was a flash of brilliance (or madness) as soon as I looked at the list of potential chassi.(chassis’s, chassises?)

I think it could make a Great subclass of a spell-less ranger by giving tactical and strategic bonuses to allies. These bonuses could be enhanced when battling “favored enemies”.

@lowkey13 I think was pretty insightful suggesting monk.

Undrave

Legend
Okay so I had this idea: How about we use the Rogue? Hear me out... Instead of Sneak Attack, you get some sort of 'Strategic Dice' or something and an 'Expose Weakness' feature to use them. Basically when you hit you get to grant the next ally to attack a bonus to their damage equal to your Strategic Dice. Let's say you start low with 1D8 at level 1...

But you can also trade each individual dice for a different effect! Trade that extra damage for temp HP instead, trade it for a bonus to accuracy, trade it for a bonus to saves, that sort of thing. As you gain more dice you can keep SOME of them for the damage bonus and SOME for the other effect. Once you gto 3D8 you could grant an ally 2D8 of temp HP and an extra 1D8 or damage, or vice versa. Some effect would need more of these dice than others. Temp HP is just one dice, but to grant advantage you need two of them. Those effect would work with Spells that have attack rolls to, not just weapons.

You could also trade your entire acton for Commander Strike and allow someone to make an attack with their reaction.

And the subclass could offer other uses of those dice or your entire action.

And of course you'd get replacement for the other class features of the Rogue.

The Rogue is interesting in that it's basically the only purely at-will frame and it has a lot of bell and whistles to hang interesting features on.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Okay so I had this idea: How about we use the Rogue? Hear me out... Instead of Sneak Attack, you get some sort of 'Strategic Dice' or something and an 'Expose Weakness' feature to use them. Basically when you hit you get to grant the next ally to attack a bonus to their damage equal to your Strategic Dice. Let's say you start low with 1D8 at level 1...

But you can also trade each individual dice for a different effect! Trade that extra damage for temp HP instead, trade it for a bonus to accuracy, trade it for a bonus to saves, that sort of thing. As you gain more dice you can keep SOME of them for the damage bonus and SOME for the other effect. Once you gto 3D8 you could grant an ally 2D8 of temp HP and an extra 1D8 or damage, or vice versa. Some effect would need more of these dice than others. Temp HP is just one dice, but to grant advantage you need two of them. Those effect would work with Spells that have attack rolls to, not just weapons.

You could also trade your entire acton for Commander Strike and allow someone to make an attack with their reaction.

And the subclass could offer other uses of those dice or your entire action.

And of course you'd get replacement for the other class features of the Rogue.

The Rogue is interesting in that it's basically the only purely at-will frame and it has a lot of bell and whistles to hang interesting features on.
I've always liked the Rogue chassis, so this makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe a core class feature like "As an action, you can grant an ally within 30' advantage on their next attack. If this attack hits, it does additional damage equal to your strategic dice." Scale the strategic dice to around Rogue level of progression.

Undrave

Legend
I've always liked the Rogue chassis, so this makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe a core class feature like "As an action, you can grant an ally within 30' advantage on their next attack. If this attack hits, it does additional damage equal to your strategic dice." Scale the strategic dice to around Rogue level of progression.

Maybe something along the line of "As an action, select one creature you could make a melee weapon attack against that you can see: one ally of your choice that can see and hear you gains advantage on the next attack roll against the selected target until the end of their next turn. If that attack hits, your ally adds X to their damage roll"

I could see 'X' being a stat (like in 4e) and that stat could be based on some level 1 feature like "Warlord Presence" that basically lets you pick if you're gonna be an INT, CHA or WIS Warlord? Even before your subclass so you have more freedom of build? With your "Presence bonus' being recurrent language?

Or that 'X' could just be some dice from the other feature we discussed.

Anoth

Adventurer
I voted fighter. Although I really think many suggestions otherwise on this thread are quite good. My reasoning is that I like a player being able to start out as a grunt fighter in the trenches and working his way up to a leadership. And I do not like multiclassing. And since fighter archetypes begin at 3rd level this works great for me.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If you want to replace spells with abilities you lose spell slots, obviously, but you could use a point system to replace the spell slots. The class still has a range of powers and some choice about when to to use them but also has to make choices about expending resources. If you rationalized points to spell slots, and abilities to spell levels, it shouldn't be that hard to get a balanced system working. It seems like the easiest way to use the Paladin chassis while maintaining balance.

I like the Paladin chassis over fighter because there are more moving parts to play around with.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
For me it's Bard. If you strip spellcasting, and combine Bardic Inspiration Dice with Superiority Dice you now have warrior that can use cool maneuvers to do cool things, some of which open opportunities for their allies, or they can buff allies directly by gifting those dice.

There is a lot of discussion about combat powers, but I think that its important to remember that the class will need things to do outside of combat, for skill usage and such.

Granting skill bonuses like the Bard is an option, as is doing things similar to the Rogue does with skills, just to other people.

Also bear in mind that even the most support-ty of support classes can hold their own, on their own, to some extent. The class should not be helpless or completely ineffective when its not on its own.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’d still want most members of the class to attack when giving a bonus.

Remove ads