• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Braid Blade... Best Crit?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You left out the bit where you can get an extra attack with it by taking a -2 penalty.

'cos obviously, you're so much more agile with a blade held in your hair than in your hand.

-Hyp.

Elemmakil

First Post
Spems said:
This weapon is insane. Is the 18-20 x3 a typo? Are there any other weapons with this range?
To the best of my knowledge, there are no similar weapons. Think about it: this one deals, on average, damage of 1.3*C + N, where C is the base damage multiplied on a crit and N the damage not multiplied (generally extra dice). The highest core weapon has an average damage of 1.15*C + N (scythe, falchion, several others). If you take Improved Crit (or get the effect elsewhere, which is not terribly challenging), this increases to 1.6*C + N as compared to 1.3*C + N (for a core weapon).

So, if you don't have damage dice and use keen/improved crit or similar effects, you just boosted your damage output by 1.6/1.3=1.23..., or about 23%. This is not, of course, including damage dice.

The fact that this weapon increases total damage output by 23% (under optimal circumstances) over anything core makes me say that it is, indeed, insane. I sincerely hope that it is a typo.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Elemmakil said:
The fact that this weapon increases total damage output by 23% (under optimal circumstances) over anything core makes me say that it is, indeed, insane. I sincerely hope that it is a typo.

My reading is 'fanboy', rather than typo... whoever wrote the adventure decided that a chick who kills people with her hair is so badass she needs the extra threat range to represent it.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Spems said:
Nvm, says 18-20 x2 upon a double check.

Ha! There are several references to it as 18-20/x3 online. My guess is that there's a typo in a Crystalkeep PDF, and everyone has been using that as a reference instead of the magazine :)

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads