WotC Brand New D&D Video Game from WotC's New Acquisition Tuque Games

Tuque Games has announced it's working on a brand new D&/D video game. "We're developing a brand-new game based in the widely celebrated, enduring, and immensely popular Dungeons & Dragons universe. This yet to be announced title is steepled in classic D&D lore. We aspire to push this game to new heights for the genre. It’s an honour and a privilege to begin a new chapter for Dungeons &...

Tuque Games has announced it's working on a brand new D&/D video game. "We're developing a brand-new game based in the widely celebrated, enduring, and immensely popular Dungeons & Dragons universe. This yet to be announced title is steepled in classic D&D lore. We aspire to push this game to new heights for the genre. It’s an honour and a privilege to begin a new chapter for Dungeons & Dragons video games."

Logo_Tuque_Color_invert.png

Not only that, but the company has been purchased by WotC! The press release went out earlier today:

RENTON, Wash., Oct. 29, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS), today announced that it has acquired Tuque Games, a digital game development studio based in Montreal. Tuque is led by veterans of the game industry with experience working for leading publishers. Tuque will continue the development of games for Wizards of the Coast's best-known brands, beginning with Dungeons & Dragons.

"At Wizards, we're continuing our commitment to creating new ways to bring our fan favorite brands to life," said Chris Cocks, President, Wizards of the Coast. "Our unique approach of connecting fans around the tabletop as well as through our expanding portfolio of digital games is redefining what it means to be a games company."

Founded in 2012 by Jeff Hattem, Tuque Games released their first title, Livelock, to critical acclaim in 2016. Now with over 55 full-time employees, Tuque will focus on the development of digital games based on the popular Dungeons & Dragons franchise.

"Tuque is thrilled to have the opportunity to be part of the Wizards of the Coast team," said Jeff Hattem, Founder, Tuque Games. "By working more closely together, we can accelerate our joint vision and bring to life new games, characters and worlds in Wizards of the Coast's roster of franchises."

"In Tuque, we believe we have found a unique partner that pairs the nimbleness of an indie studio with the veteran leadership and scale required to deliver complex AAA games for our largest franchises," said David Schwartz, VP of Digital Publishing, Wizards of the Coast. "We are excited to bring Jeff and the Tuque team to the Wizards of the Coast family, which we believe will allow us to continue to meet the needs of our fans while enabling us to scale our digital games development capabilities even faster."

It seems there's a bit of a D&D video game renaissance going on. Baldur's Gate 3 is coming, as is Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

gyor

Legend
If it turns out as good as PoE, I'll be on the first row of buyers. But I don't think it will since Larian is already working on a BG3 that should (?) be a cRPG. I'm expecting a aRPG from Tuque or a BG3 gacha mobile spinoff.

I hope your wrong. There is room enough for two D&D CRPGs especially when they won't be releasing it in the same year. D&D multiverse is huge.

Did any of you look at the founder of Tuque? His name is Jeff Hattem, formerly of Ubisoft, Behavior Interactive and THQ. He's 22 years in the business and survived founding his own studio and delivering a decent game with a minimal staff. Now he's expanding (55) and they are still hiring. His last game was on the Unreal Engine (which accounts for its graphics). If they stick with Unreal a lot of the heavy lifting for the engine is done (and Unreal 4 is very pretty...). Anyway, he's done everything from freelancing to senior level designer (Ubisoft) to executive producer (at THQ Montreal). I'd imagine the THQ bankruptcy and sale to Ubisoft set him adrift to do his own startup. He's seen a lot of games delivered. I'm interested to see what he does with this. He's building his studio and planning on doing a good game. Here's hoping he does :)

You can look him up on LinkedIn btw.

Mercador

Adventurer
Did any of you look at the founder of Tuque? His name is Jeff Hattem, formerly of Ubisoft, Behavior Interactive and THQ. He's 22 years in the business and survived founding his own studio and delivering a decent game with a minimal staff. Now he's expanding (55) and they are still hiring. His last game was on the Unreal Engine (which accounts for its graphics). If they stick with Unreal a lot of the heavy lifting for the engine is done (and Unreal 4 is very pretty...). Anyway, he's done everything from freelancing to senior level designer (Ubisoft) to executive producer (at THQ Montreal). I'd imagine the THQ bankruptcy and sale to Ubisoft set him adrift to do his own startup. He's seen a lot of games delivered. I'm interested to see what he does with this. He's building his studio and planning on doing a good game. Here's hoping he does :)

You can look him up on LinkedIn btw.
Thank you Jeff's friend :p

Seriously, I worked with BE for the last 18 months and I can't say I'm thrilled by them. I wish he'll be better than them.

I have been to fun to imagine how the future projects could be.

I am sure now they are working in future projects. Not yet, but maybe someday, we will see a Dark Sun. They also want a d20 for mass battles, and the return of Spelljammer through the big door like a future star, but d20 also needs a good betatesting about sea warfare ship vs ship, ship vs sea kaijus or ship as strongholds, with the right challenge rating and XP reward.

If you are Hasbro, wouldn't want to make money with a G.I.Joe d20 or an Overwatch d20? But the modern technology can break the balance of power if we want to try a crossover as Marvel vs Capcom.

I think Hasbro has noticed the future of the business is in the multimedia franchises, and the streaming media services and interactive films. Have you seen children downloading cartoons from youtube? now let's imagine a teenage reading an interactive pdf gamebook set in Ravenloft. This would faster and cheaper than producing cartoons or action-live series.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Ruin Explorer

You've been a member here since 2002- long enough to be aware of the language rules you’ve violated several times in this thread.

1) I’ve edited the posts reported thus far. Don‘t post in this thread again.
2) If you’ve been using prohibited language in other recent posts, you MIGHT want to edit them yourself.
3) Review the rules on language use here. If you can’t abide by them, it may be time for you to find somewhere else to discuss gaming.

Ashrym

Legend
Now with three colors of text!

Eh... I'd still play it.

You still can. ;)

It has always been kind of astonishing that most successful MMOs are inspired, directly or indirectly, by D&D*, but D&D itself has never been able to get a decent MMO going. DDO was surprisingly close to 3E's rules, but was terrible game, in part as a result (staying close to the rules doesn't work for an MMO), and in part because of bizarre decisions like setting it in Xen'Drik (I love Xen'Drik but man what).

Part of that was Atari's fingers in the original pie but I'm still playing DDO. I'd sign on to a 5e version of that game. ;)

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Part of that was Atari's fingers in the original pie but I'm still playing DDO. I'd sign on to a 5e version of that game. ;)
Yeah, I think DDO qualifies as "decent" at the very least. I played it for years, and would still be playing it now if I had the time. Also, it was released in 2006, which means that it has been active for over 13 years, which is more than most MMO's can say. Granted it has its warts, but I'd still rank it as one of the best MMO's I've ever played.

Remove ads

Remove ads