WotC New D&D survey from WotC as part of the 50th anniversary year.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
No, now you're making assumptions. You're assuming people were let go before the workload tapered off. The workload tapers off WAY before the product hits the shelves. I am sure managers at WotC knew exactly when they no longer needed to pay a lot of people. Since most editions of D&D come out in the fall, the layoffs are often timed to coincide with Christmas the year before.
This isn't true. You've repeated yourself so you feel it is true. But that doesn't match reality.

But the last large layoffs to hit D&D were after 5e went out of playtest, not before it.
Also, since the public changes to the publication dates and the efforts of the playtest were stretched out we know the work wasn't done.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This isn't true. You've repeated yourself so you feel it is true. But that doesn't match reality.

But the last large layoffs to hit D&D were after 5e went out of playtest, not before it.
Also, since the public changes to the publication dates and the efforts of the playtest were stretched out we know the work wasn't done.
I have plenty of confidence thst the remaining designers can and will get the work done, but yeah, it really sucks that D&D lost Dan Dillon in particular because of issues at a completely seperate subsidiary, and all the other talented folks.

CapnZapp

Legend
I can't force you to stop believing there's something special with this particular round of layoffs. There likely isn't, though. I can only suggest looking at history. Once you realize mass layoffs is close to routine at each edition's sunset, you cease to be surprised by them. And when you realize WotC does it darn near every time, you realize there is likely no conspiracy and no reason to expect an inferior product.

I can't force you to stop believing there's something special with this particular round of layoffs. There likely isn't, though. I can only suggest looking at history. Once you realize mass layoffs is close to routine at each edition's sunset, you cease to be surprised by them. And when you realize WotC does it darn near every time, you realize there is likely no conspiracy and no reason to expect an inferior product.

It actually makes me think D&D & MtG can expect more layoffs to come, especially just right after the release of the PHB or DMG.

I think they want to lean into Freelancers a lot more anyways.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Yes. I looked at the history.

The history is after the edition is live, not while it was developed.
You seem to misunderstand our disagreement. I think the layoff was poorly timed, while you seem to be suggesting that I'm thinking there is never a layoff around edition changes.

I took the survey, it was two pages with the exact same questions, just with "DnD" and "Wizards of The Coast" switched. It was a rather brief and....mechanical survey, if that makes any sense. It felt like they put it out purely did it just to do it and was rather uninterested in any actual result.

Hussar

Legend

Ummm... nope?

The 5e team was about ten people. There was nobody left to lay off. The WotC D&D division was a ghost town LOOONG before 5e hit the streets.

Why do you think that the biggest adventure releases for the first couple of of years were done entirely by freelancers? Phandalver, Dragon Queen, and I'm sure there were more. I'm not actually sure when WotC actually produced its first in house book. But it wouldn't be for a couple of years after 5e released.

CapnZapp

Legend
Yes. I looked at the history.

The history is after the edition is live, not while it was developed.
You seem to misunderstand our disagreement. I think the layoff was poorly timed, while you seem to be suggesting that I'm thinking there is never a layoff around edition changes.
No you don't have to wait until after the edition is published to get rid off the staff.

Every layoff is considered poorly timed - it's always outrage when people get the slip around Christmastime.

We're not having a disagreement. I'm reminding you and the thread that if you look at history you would have saved yourself a lot of emotion.

Remove ads