WotC New D&D survey from WotC as part of the 50th anniversary year.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You tell me who instructed Pinkerton to go after the fan.

It appears it's the guy who they called at WOTC. That's the number the Pinkertons had and gave the guy to call. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

WotC makes a point to shield the bad actors among their executives.

We still dont know the name of the executive who authorized the horrible anti-OGL contract. Tho that obviously comes from the top.

We still dont know the name of the person that wrote those weird letters at DnDBeyond that were trying to push the anti-OGL contract.

There are credible suspicions, who.

Also, obviously the executives themselves know who, and it is evident that different factions among them want different goals.

But the bad actor executives are careful to hide behind their fellows and employees.
That's all just your speculation, driven by your outrage, which you mentioned you had earlier. You seem to be operating on rage and guesses based on that rage.

I will ask again, do you have any actual evidence to support your claims or are you just spreading rumors based on anger?

This is a bad look man. You've embellished this story, you're telling others it's fact, you don't have answers to any questions about where you're getting details you appear to have made up, this is all a bad look.

I think I need to step away from this conversation at this point. I like you, and I don't want to continue with where this is going. I strongly suggest you do the same, but that's up to you.

Yaarel

He Mage
It appears it's the guy who they called at WOTC. That's the number the Pinkertons had and gave the guy to call. Do you have evidence to the contrary?
Obviously, the Cannons spoke to an employee.

The executive who sent Pinkerton has little or no regard for a fan. In any case, the executive certainly isnt in personal phone call with a fan.

The outrage is because there are executives in WotC who have done more than one outrageous incident − each of which demonstrates lack of empathy for the fans of D&D and Magic The Gathering.

Yaarel

He Mage
I think I need to step away from this conversation at this point. I like you, and I don't want to continue with where this is going. I strongly suggest you do the same, but that's up to you.
Actually, I was ready to step away from the Pinkerton incident a while back.

But this natural-enough impulse to whitewash WotC of ANY wrongdoing, by various posters, felt ethically wrong.

The Cannons are 100% innocent. They never did anything illegal. Whatsoever. I hope that is clear to everyone here.

I love D&D. There is much about WotC that I love, especially the creatives who work there, especially the designers, and there are several executives at WotC who did do the right thing with regard to the OGL, whence now the CC.

My heroes are allowed to be imperfect.

I want to avoid obsessing on faults, and, I want to acknowledge that faults happen.

CapnZapp

Legend
1 - usually they let people go after the development, not during it.
3 - also, they haven't let people go while growing in the past
I don't see why waiting until the edition has been published would make their behavior better...?

And yes, they have ALWAYS contracted their team right about when a new edition is ready to release. They simply don't want or need as many people while an edition is active... remember, the point of new editions is to ensure the cash keeps flowing in (if people only kept purchasing the exact same books over and over they wouldn't need new editions at all!)

2 - this also doesn't mean it can't upset me
4 - finally, it's real people in my real city that are unemployed, so yes, it upsets me.
I didn't say you weren't allowed to be upset. If I had a point, it was that you shouldn't be surprised... at least not if you know your history...

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I don't see why waiting until the edition has been published would make their behavior better...?
Because there's still work to do, which is why this cycle is different
And yes, they have ALWAYS contracted their team right about when a new edition is ready to release. They simply don't want or need as many people while an edition is active... remember, the point of new editions is to ensure the cash keeps flowing in (if people only kept purchasing the exact same books over and over they wouldn't need new editions at all!)
You still have your timing off.
They let people go AFTER the work is done, so the new edition is properly baked. Not while the work is being done.

The timeline this time ruins the new product.

CapnZapp

Legend
You still have your timing off.
They let people go AFTER the work is done, so the new edition is properly baked. Not while the work is being done.

The timeline this time ruins the new product.
No, now you're making assumptions. You're assuming people were let go before the workload tapered off. The workload tapers off WAY before the product hits the shelves. I am sure managers at WotC knew exactly when they no longer needed to pay a lot of people. Since most editions of D&D come out in the fall, the layoffs are often timed to coincide with Christmas the year before.

Anyway, each time WotC mass-fires a lot of people as thanks for creating the next edition of the game a lot of people express anger and surprise. I won't deny them their anger, but do want to point out that if you kept yourself informed about recent history you would save yourself the surprise.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It was Hasbro who did the Lay Offs. Also they happen every year.

It’s just rare that they target areas doing well.
It's been a long while since they hit D&D, and it really sucks...but they used to do way more, all the time. It is terrible, but not a change grommet 20 years ago.

Remove ads