D&D Movie/TV Bridgerton Star Regé-Jean Page Joins D&D Movie

Regé-Jean Page has joined the cast of the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie - which currently has Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, and Justice Smith attached - in a leading role, according to Hollywood Reporter. He played the Duke of Hastings in the period drama which is Netflix's biggest ever show. https://www.enworld.org/threads/chris-pine-to-star-in-d-d-movie.677045/...

Regé-Jean Page has joined the cast of the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie - which currently has Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, and Justice Smith attached - in a leading role, according to Hollywood Reporter. He played the Duke of Hastings in the period drama which is Netflix's biggest ever show.

BRIDGERTON_108_Unit_01959R.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
1) Doesn't really fit with the GotG theme, for a party member;
They aren’t remaking GoTG, but fantasy. It was referenced in relation to tone , a while ago. That’s it.
2) Faith in what? You planning an info drop on the setting's religions (or Nova Corps equivalent)?
No need.
3) How does it differ from an annoyingly moralistic fighter? Or, if you are going with 5e, any sort of fighter at all?
He answers to a god and is trying to make the world better, and has magic powers.
. He plays a Starfleet captain who breaks all the rules.
That is literally my exact point, yes.

They aren’t remaking GoTG, but fantasy. It was referenced in relation to tone , a while ago. That’s it.
And an important part of that tone is it is a picaresque - the protagonists are rogues (not the class).
No need.

He answers to a god and is trying to make the world better, and has magic powers.
5e paladins do not have to answer to a god, but if they do, you are going to have to explain that god. If your central character is particularly religious then your movie is going to be about religion. Heavy stuff for an action-comedy.

Pretty much everyone in 5e has magic powers. "Has no magic powers" would be more distinctive.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
5e paladins do not have to answer to a god, but if they do, you are going to have to explain that god. If your central character is particularly religious then your movie is going to be about religion. Heavy stuff for an action-comedy.
To use the GOTG comparison, in all the GOTG movies and their appearances, they've spent maybe a total of a minute explaining Rocket's origin/backstory, and before the fact it would have been easy to think audiences would need more information. They don't.

To use the GOTG comparison, in all the GOTG movies and their appearances, they've spent maybe a total of a minute explaining Rocket's origin/backstory, and before the fact it would have been easy to think audiences would need more information. They don't.
Rocket wasn't the main character. If they did a Rocket movie, they would have to delve deeper into Rocket's backstory (as the Rocket comic does).

Same goes for a clerical party member. If they are not the lead you don't need to explain their religion. "I heal you in the name of Hogran the Humourless" is sufficient. But if they are the main character, and religion is the major trait of that character, then you are doing a story about religion (See: Cleric Quintet)

Oofta

Legend
Rocket wasn't the main character. If they did a Rocket movie, they would have to delve deeper into Rocket's backstory (as the Rocket comic does).

Same goes for a clerical party member. If they are not the lead you don't need to explain their religion. "I heal you in the name of Hogran the Humourless" is sufficient. But if they are the main character, and religion is the major trait of that character, then you are doing a story about religion (See: Cleric Quintet)

Why? I mean, unless the religion is a central part of the plot why do you need anything other than "By the hammer of Grabthar"? In my experience that's all we get when someone is playing a cleric in a standard D&D game. I don't see why a movie would be different.

Novels, in particular novels that have a solo protagonist, don't need to go into that level of detail.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman

Fair point. GOTG spends an awful lot of time on Quill's backstory.

This begs the question: will this be more of an ensemble piece, or a starring vehicle? GOTG is sort of...both, I think?

I'm hoping for something more like the Ocean's or Expendables movies (there's other examples, I'm sure, and those might not be the best), where you technically have a main character, but really a few actors share the limelight pretty evenly.

Remove ads

Remove ads