• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bringing common sense to AoOs

sfedi

First Post
If someone let's down he's guard, I can make an extra attack on him (the AoO).

In particular, I can always make an extra attack.

If I make that extra attack against a foe which hasn't lowered it's guard, it will be 100% ineffective.

If I wield a sunrod, I could easily activate it by hitting the floor with it.

Or I could attack a helpless creature...

Or a wall...

Or a door...

Etc.

Darklone

I considered AoOs as a big improvement compared to previous rules for these situations.

And finally polearms got effective. Without haft strike feats :)

Within limits..

AoO's, within the rules, already exhibit common sense. One must remember that the D20 combat rules are simulations of a flurry of activity, artificially broken down into stages and events in order to 'play' better. These stages seem 'unreal' mainly because they are. Attempting to 'play' a real time sword-fight would be very rule intensive and take alot of time to adjudicate.

Many people make the error of thinking that since you only roll 1 attack roll that the character only swings the sword once...that is not the case.
D20 combat rules do not have an active parry as it is assumed that a plethora of feints, parries, and attacks happen in a round. It assumes that of these manuevers, a 1st level fighter has the chance for making one effective strike against an opponent. This would be the normal attack roll.
It is also assumed, that if an opponents defenses are lowered, there exists a chance for an attack that is normally ineffective, due to the opponents defenses, to become effective. This would be the AoO.

Advantages of using AoO's: Polearms, creatures with Reach, more tactical attention to the battlefield. Players pay more attention when the combat round is not on thier turn as an AoO may present itself.

Advantages of not using AoO's: All combat happens within 5' of the opponent. Battlefield tactics matter little.

So.. if you prefer a more tactical battlefield were weapons of various makes can be utilized in various different ways...go with AoO's. If not, scratch them and all the Feats and abilities.. and dont forget to scale down the CR of some encounters.

Funny, (kindof), I regularly see threads where the comment of "AoO's suck" arises, but never any suggestion of how to improve the game shy of just scrapping the whole idea.

Hong.. I agree.. definately no spoon here.

sfedi

First Post
The point I was trying to make is that you should be able to make an AoO to an inanimate object or a helpless defender.

Darklone

Yupp, getting paralysed/knocked out or other similar stuff should provoke AoOs. But it would make combat much more deadly.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
sfedi said:
The point I was trying to make is that you should be able to make an AoO to an inanimate object or a helpless defender.

Actually, if you have Combat Reflexes, you should be able to make all your AoOs on a helpless defender.

Someone who is generally on their guard takes their attention off you four times to make grapple, trip, or disarm attempts, and each time you manage to slip an attack through the hole they leave in their defences, without spending an action.

Someone stands in front of you rigidly locked in a helpless and paralyzed position, with one big hole in their nonexistent defence... and that's somehow less vulnerable?

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads