Brute Squads

namfoodle

First Post
I like the 7th Sea rules for the brute squad. Brute squads work like this,

You have groups of squads that attack the PC's, they range from 3- whatever your heart desires. To hit one of them there is a very very low TN (7th Sea revolves around target numbers and you roll piles of d10s to try and get there). If the PC wants to hit more than one in the squad he adds 5 to the base number. So, if there are 5 brutes in a squad the target number to hit one of them is 5 and all 5 would be 25.

I think that this sort of thing could make D+D go way over the top. Imagine swarms of Orcs and goblins rampaging their way toward the bound and determined PC's. This is an opinion of mine yes but I am not so well versed in the ways of the d20 so I thought I would ask because I am trying to set up a game here rather soon. (hopfully!)

How would this sort of thing work in d20? Would you add half of an orcs AC to a roll and use that as the new AC to beat? People have told me that Great Cleave and that can work pretty well but that's not what I am looking for. I want the monsterous hordes to be WAY over the top but somewhat easy to defeat. It is this way in 7th Sea because the characters are usually over the top swordsmen or sorcerers.

Don't let your stigma of 7th sea get in the way! ^^

Nick LaLone

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hmmm, what d20 company was it that put out rules for wuxia-like combat? It included rules for fighting "faceless hordes," which I think would suit your needs.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Easy - if you want D&D characters to be over-the-top swordsmen, let them start with high ability scores and at a higher level than 1st (say, 6th). Problem solved. :cool:

That is, you don't have to change the system, but rather just elevate the PCs to the power level that you have in mind. :)

Victim

First Post
Over the top swordsman or sorcerers = Higher level characters.

By fifth level or so, "brute squads" of 1/st level warriors die quite rapidly to cleaves, whirlwinds, fireballs, or chain cast attack spell.

Also, the way attack bonuses and HP increase, along with AC boosts from feats or magic, characters will automatically hit poorly equiped enemies and those enemy warriors won't be able to hit back effectively.

For example, the 6th level NPC fighter in the DMG has 49 HP, 22 AC, and attacks at +11/+6 doing 1d10+5 damage. He has cleave. He'll probably kill 2 orcs each round because any time he hits, he'll drop one and trigger his Cleave feat. Each orc needs a 19 to hit him, so they probably won't hurt him. If they do, the hit will probably take away less than 20% of his HP, not a significant injury. In other words, he could probably drop 10 orcs by himself.

With better equipment, magical spells active, and teamwork, a group of 6th level characters could probably wipe out over a hundred poorly led, stupid orcs.

First level PCs are more like people just out of basic training or school.

Finally, adding 1/2 the secondary target's AC to the first's would simply make characters miss quite often. Unless they were high level, they'd be better off attempting one at time kills than trying to hit two or more enemies with your Brute killing rules. And by that level, they don't really need the help.

Aaron2

Explorer
Snots

Give your wimpy monsters the "Gang Attack" ability. (I made this up, see below). A gang makes one attack roll with +1 to hit and +1 damage for each member of the gang attacking in addition to the first. However, if the characters attack the gang, his excess damage from killing one gang member automatically goes over to the next gang member. For example, if all members of the gang have 2 hp (say they are kobolds) and the character does 12 points of damage, he will kill 6 of the poor little guys.

I play in the Warhammer world and I needed rules for Snotlings which are super wimpy Goblins. I also use this rule for things like rat swarms.

Aaron

el Voz

First Post
I always liked the cleave/whirwind feat faimily. Also the limit of 8 who can surrond you. It helps keep the tatics on both sides in check.

But then I do not DM huge armies either.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: Snots

Aaron2 said:
Give your wimpy monsters the "Gang Attack" ability. (I made this up, see below). A gang makes one attack roll with +1 to hit and +1 damage for each member of the gang attacking in addition to the first. However, if the characters attack the gang, his excess damage from killing one gang member automatically goes over to the next gang member. For example, if all members of the gang have 2 hp (say they are kobolds) and the character does 12 points of damage, he will kill 6 of the poor little guys.

I play in the Warhammer world and I needed rules for Snotlings which are super wimpy Goblins. I also use this rule for things like rat swarms.

Aaron
There's a feat for that, in the halfling Dragon.

Remove ads