• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BtVS - 12/16/02

Wow. Guess I was right on with my theory a few weeks back that the First could only impersonate those who had died...

And no, I don't think Giles is dead. First off, it's too obvious. The fact that he's acting just a bit off, the fact that we never saw how he survived the axe... all that could indicate that he's dead, yes. But it doesn't feel right to me. It'd be a cheesy way to off a main and well-liked character. And it would also cause some minor difficulties for the potential Giles series on the BBC, yes? He's too old for it to be filmed as a "prequel" series.

Even if he is dead, though, I don't think it was the First who was impersonating him. First, to what end? I'm sure the First could have arranged to have those last slayers-in-training killed elsewhere without schlepping them to Sunnydale. But more to the point, the First was currently playing Druscilla with Spike, and we've seen no indication yet that the First can manifest in more than one place at a time.

Yeah, none of this proves anything, and Giles could be dead, but I doubt it. And I certainly hope not, since he's easily the coolest character ever on this show.

Chun-tzu

First Post
Even if it IS the First, that doesn't mean Giles is dead. It means that we don't know where he is or what's been happening to him, yet.

But why would the First go around gathering the Slayers in training? True, it could be up to something, and we only have speculation to go on at this point.

The next new episode is January 7. >sigh<

DanMcS

Explorer
The first can only look like dead people. If it is the first, then Giles is dead. QED

Of course, the only evidence we have for that is from watching it appear as dead people, and then today 'Giles' said so. But if it's the first, it could be lying. So it says 'The first can only appear as dead people." And it is appearing as Giles, so we all go "Eek!" And then it gets revealed as the First, and Buffy goes into a depressive fugue, because she thinks dear old Giles is dead. And she musters herself together, and goes out to fight the First, but is losing, and Giles shows up and saves the day, because the First was lying, it can appear as anyone it wants to.

That's so like Joss, I can see it already.

Or Giles is fine, and Joss is just teasing us to make us THINK he's dead and that this is the First.

I'm confused now.

Chun-tzu said:
Even if it IS the First, that doesn't mean Giles is dead. It means that we don't know where he is or what's been happening to him, yet.

But why would the First go around gathering the Slayers in training? True, it could be up to something, and we only have speculation to go on at this point.

Well, they did say that The First (I am getting SO sick of that phrase :p ) can only impersonate the dead. Though that could only be what The First (Joss) wants them (us) to think.

Sigh. This is too complicated for an idiot like me.

Maybe I can still catch a little bit of Son of the Beach.

--RonJon

Crothian

First Post
It was a pretty good episode. I think the accents got really old fast and hopefully they get better. Is Giles dead? I don't think so. It just doesn't seem to fit with the way the series has gone since season 1.

AuroraGyps

First Post
I had the same feeling about Giles, but I hope he's not dead. Besides, how would he have gotten the Slayers in training to the US if he couldn't touch anything, like plane tickets and cash.

But whats bugging me more is... who does the Principal work for? I was actually yelling at the TV, "Who are you with? What cult are you in? What organization?" Drove me nuts. ;) And down in the school basement, when he smiled at Buffy, I thought he was gonna get that ear to ear grin and then turn inside out. Creepy guy.

Yay, a day early birthday gift to me. :D I can't wait.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Most important thing about this one was Buffy realized she can't do it all by herself, that she has a team to help her. This goes back to last season and this one where everyone was doing their own thing. The infrastructure of the Scoobies was broken and weakened, Buffy was not being a leader, just the slayer. This changed.

Now, Giles, is he or is he not. I really can't tell but I think it is him.

I wonder if they will call on the power of the first slayer will to fight the first evil.

IceBear

Explorer
On another message board someone mentioned that they thought Giles had died back when he was "Ripper" and practicing the Dark Arts :)

If that's true, then it could be the first posing as Giles and Giles could still be around (as Buffy isn't dead - now - and the First appeared as her a few times).

IceBear

KnowTheToe

First Post
AuroraGyps said:
But whats bugging me more is... who does the Principal work for? I was actually yelling at the TV, "Who are you with? What cult are you in? What organization?" Drove me nuts. ;) And down in the school basement, when he smiled at Buffy, I thought he was gonna get that ear to ear grin and then turn inside out. Creepy guy.

This annoys me more than intrigues me. Buffy knows the guy is up to something and does not confront him, or even investigate him. I think they are both good guys and that is why he wants Buffy on school grounds. This cat and mouse game they are playing with each other seems very forced and looking at the desperate situation they seem to be in, he is a major lead in which they ignore. STUPID plot hole.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
As usual, I need someone to spoil this for me, since I don't get UPN.

So give the plot folks. Give me the lowdown/blow by blow.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads