• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Building a better Druid

Croesus

Adventurer
So. Druids. At the very base, they're defined by a few things.

* Shapeshifting.
* Animal hoards (druids make the best summoners in 5e imho)
* Terrain control spells (entangle is the classic example, but there are many others)
* Some healing

The middle two items you list are almost always concentration, which severely limits the druid's options in combat. More than once I cast entangle, spike growth, or a conjure spell, then each round said, "Well, I guess I'll try to hit someone with my shillelagh." I found that very boring.

Now... wild shape in 5e makes me sad. For me, I envision shifting to play a werewolf, or something. I had a blast with my drow spider shifter in 4e. Instead, I have to encounter animals, then turn into them. Usually a bear, elephant or a dinosaur after a point, then elementals. I don't want to use those. I want to be a tiger, or a snake or something consistant across all levels. Instead, I outgrow those early on, and have to stick with just tanky beasts, since those are the only ones that can stand up to the physical challenges. This isn't fun, imho. Its not as evocative after a while. Maybe this is a problem of just not enough Beasts that are properly leveled, or needing rules to level up the CR of a beast, but when a tiger is being so outclassed so early on...

Agree 100%. What I'd prefer is that all druids could at some point wildshape or summon small animals for scouting and such. Combat wildshape would be limited to a specific circle, and would not be based on specific beasts. Instead the druid would gain certain abilities (melee attack, flight, dash, whatever). The specific beast form would just be flavor chosen by the player. This would have to be carefully designed to minimize unnecessary complexity and would need plenty of testing to balance. But done right, it would solve a lot of current problems with wildshape.

In short? More variety in Circles. Lots more variety. Clerics and Wizards always get new subclasses. I feel like every class should have at least 5 subclasses.

DM's Guild has at least three good alternate Circles (Beast, Death Blossom, Fountain), and I've found a couple others elsewhere. UA just had a new one posted that looks pretty good.

Xeviat

Hero
A tweak to Land Druids with variant class features as they do not get that much from wildshape.

The ability to gain proficiencies, enhanced senses, and movement modes is very handy, especially in exploration scenes. But I do agree that wildshape doesn't add up to channel divinity abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the different terrains in CoL need more to differentiate themselves then just a couple of bonus spells. I think that would cut down on the "need for more circles"; I suspect there is as much desire for new totems for the totem barbarian as their is for new types of barbarian, and land druids should be the same way.

Casters who dabble in melee didn't work out so well in the PHB, but the UA's have shown some improvements in implementation of that sort of thing. A warden-y druid could make that work (you hit things with a sword, and periodically hit things with a sword harder, because you look like a werewolf or a tree).

Tony Vargas

Legend
The Druid definitely needs some more circles. One with an animal companion would be cool.
The whole Grisly Adams thing doesn't seem to work too well in 5e, and doesn't really have a lot of basis in the Druid concept - Druids in legend didn't often have special connections like that with animals, they were associated with ravens, for instance, but more as omens than familiars. :shrug: Animal Companions, I assume, grew out of the old Animal Friendship spell, which was just one spell among many but, for some reason, iot got blown up into a fairly major class feature in 3e.

A Circle of Blood that performs human sacrifice and incites berserker rages in their allies...
The weapon list could have been more Celtic (swords, spears, javelins, darts, slings).
I do think that one niche that could be expanded upon would a weapon-focused variant with a bit more martial capability. Previous incarnations of the class had a bit more combat ability in that respect. .. Naturally, any martially-oriented circle would have to balanced with the fact that the druid is a primary caster with a very powerful spell list. So, probably something along the lines of the cleric's melee-enhancing divine strike or the valor bard's capabilities.
I suppose the Warden is one place to look for a more weapon-oriented Druid (and one that still shapechanges, sorta).

The 2e CPH had a special ability priests could take instead of Turn Undead called 'Incite Berserker Rage,' and at least one Roman account has Druids whipping their people up into a frenzy before battle, so I kinda like that idea. I suppose it steps on the Barbarians' toes a little, though.

Yaarel

He Mage
The Berserkr is really a kind of "shamanic warrior" anyway, known for animal shapechange.

The shaman (D&D Druid?) as a Berserkr actually makes more sense than a barbarian Berserkr.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I agree that more circles would have been great. The few one's I've seen from UA do not impress me at all.

"Wildshape", my biggest peeve with the class, needs to go back to being called "shape-shifting" or "shape-changing" or even just "bestial transformation" or something. I despise the term "wildshape."

The ability itself is far too early in the level progression. I think it functions fine. But there is no reason it should be a 2nd level choice (other than for the people who mistaken believe that a D&D "Druid" is supposed to be a WoW shapehangey "Druid" and that's what their shtick is "supposed" to be. feh.

Make a subclass that focuses on it as a primary ability, fine. But no reason any/every druid needs to be altering their molecular structure into animal forms at 2nd level.

Potential subclass circles should have entailed: "Green": plant-focused, "Spirit": for a simple shaman; "Land": for the terrain speciality works fine for me; "Hunt": for an animal companion/summoning speciality; I really like the berserker-inducing warrior idea and, sure, why not call it "Warden" and make it subclass of druid?; the diviner/seer idea is good, too, though how to differentiate it from a Knowledge cleric or a Diviner wizard might be tricky; and whatever you want to call a shapeshifter-focused druid. That's 7. Right in the neighborhood of the Cleric's and Wizard's subclass options.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The ability itself is far too early in the level progression. I think it functions fine. But there is no reason it should be a 2nd level choice (other than for the people who mistaken believe that a D&D "Druid" is supposed to be a WoW shapehangey "Druid" and that's what their shtick is "supposed" to be. feh.
Shapechanging has always been a D&D Druid thing, and starting it very early was introduced in the 2e 'Complete' book. It's a D&D thing WoW copied. WoW is just orders of magnitude bigger than D&D, so some folks coming from it to D&D might not realize how derivative the MMO that hooked them is of the TTRPG they're trying.

Make a subclass that focuses on it as a primary ability, fine. But no reason any/every druid needs to be altering their molecular structure into animal forms at 2nd level.
5th or 7th would be fine for the non-Moon Circles, especially if it opened up room for other cool abilities...

Potential subclass circles should have entailed: "Green": plant-focused, "Spirit": for a simple shaman; "Land": for the terrain speciality works fine for me; "Hunt": for an animal companion/summoning speciality; I really like the berserker-inducing warrior idea and, sure, why not call it "Warden" and make it subclass of druid?; the diviner/seer idea is good, too, though how to differentiate it from a Knowledge cleric or a Diviner wizard might be tricky; and whatever you want to call a shapeshifter-focused druid. That's 7. Right in the neighborhood of the Cleric's and Wizard's subclass options.
All sound good. Moon is already the animal-shapeshifter Druid. The Warden was a different kind of shapeshifter, it's 'guardian' forms not all animals and more abstract in some ways ("Form of Mountain's Thunder" can't be too literal), more like a set of still-weapon-using humanoid shapes or aspects taken on.
A Druidic seer would be very appropriate, and it would be differentiated from other classes good at divination the same way classes with similar functions are differentiated in 5e - by not worrying about it. ;) Seriously, 5e classes stomp all over eachother's stuff, especially spell lists. :shrug: Doesn't seem to be an issue. Spirit (Shaman) and Hunt could completely replace the usual wildshape with a spirit fetch and hunting animal (pack of hounds or wolves might be cool if it could be handled well), respectively.

Eddie Blanton

First Post
Hey Everyone,

Here is my take on the druid. This focuses on limiting the number of animals it can transform into per short rest to just two, however, it can shape into and out of those two forms at will until it rests. Damage is carried over, so if one form takes damage, the druid shifts of of that form, and later re-enters that form, it's temp health will still be the same as before.

At 20th level, it can shift into four forms per short rest, doubling it's HP sponge ability between rests, while not granting INFINITE hp.

Oh, and the Circle of the Moon druid gets a buff to all lower level forms, so they now scale with level. This allows you to choose any form you have, and it still be relevant at your current level (have fun!).

Wild Shape (Updated)
  • Starting at 2nd level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of a beast that you have seen before. You may assume up to two unique Wild Shapes per short or long rest. You may shift into your beast shape at will as an action. Each time you do so, any conditions or HP loss the beast shape has sustained are retained until the next time you finish a short rest or long rest.
  • Your druid level determines the beasts you can transform into, as shown in the Beast Shapes table. At 2nd level, for example, you can transform into any beast that has a challenge rating of 1/4 or lower that doesn’t have a flying or swimming speed.

Beast Shapes
LevelMax. CRLimitationsExample
2nd1/4No flying or swimming speedWolf
4th1/2No flying speedCrocodile
8th1Giant eagle

• Once you transform into a beast, you can shift in and out of that beast shape for a number of hours equal to half your druid level (rounded down). You then revert to your normal form and cannot assume that beast shape again until you finish a short or long rest. You can revert to your normal form earlier by using a bonus action on your turn. You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die.

While you are transformed, the following rules apply:

• When you transform, you assume the beast’s hit points and Hit Dice. When you revert to your normal form, you return to the number of hit points you had before you transformed. However, if you revert as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to your normal form, you cannot wild shape again until the end of your next turn, and you cannot use the same beast shape again until you finish a short or long rest. For example, if you take 10 damage in animal form and have only 1 hit point left, you revert and take 9 damage. As long as the excess damage doesn’t reduce your normal form to 0 hit points, you aren’t knocked unconscious.
  • Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature’s bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can't use them.
  • You can’t cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast.
  • You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
  • You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal, but the DM decides whether it is practical for the new form to wear a piece of equipment, based on the creature’s shape and size. Your equipment doesn’t change size or shape to match the new form, and any equipment that the new form can’t wear must either fall to the ground or merge with it. Equipment that merges with the form has no effect until you leave the form.

Archdruid (Updated)
  • At 20th level, you can assume four unique Wild Shapes per short or long rest.

Circle of the Moon (Updated)
  • If your spell attack is higher than a form's attack bonus, you may use your spell attack in that form instead of its native melee attack bonus. If your spell DC is higher than a form's special ability DCs (such as pounce for panthers), you may use your spell DC in that form instead of its native DC.
  • When you assume the shape of a beast, your hit point maximum equals the beast’s normal maximum or four times your druid level, whichever is higher. If the beast’s hit point maximum is normally less than four times your druid level, then your AC equals 10 + your Wisdom modifier, otherwise use the beast’s normal AC.

thenimblebanana

First Post
Personally I love the druid and think it is a fantastic class in 5e. Definitely one of the best designed in my opinion. Things I would like to see in future releases are more druid only spells and more non-concentration spells.

Also, it seems that a lot of people have issues with wildshape, mostly the HP sponge aspect of it. Quick question, would applying a level of exhaustion if you're forcefully knocked out of wildhsape be too much of a penalty to a druid?

Coffinthrower

First Post
For Land Druids, don't hook them to one type of land, instead, they connect to the land in general. In game terms, the land druid adds a land category spells to his prepared list while he is in the corresponding land type.

Flexibility depending on locale without being overpowering.

Remove ads