D&D 5E Building a High Elf Twilight Cleric

DarkMoon250

Explorer
I've got an elven cleric of the lunar deity Sehanine in the works. Just did my rolls, and got 16/15/14/14/12/10. The DM is allowing us to use the Tasha's stat reallocation in any way, so we can get a plus 3 to one stat.

I see the character as more of a Wis/Dex than a Wis/Str, and I know that limits my use of the heavy armor proficiency unless I find some mithral, but I really want to be able to sneak. I still plan to try and get some melee combat in alongside my spell slinging, but I don't know what weapons or feats to pick to make this work.

Plus, I still want to stay on the theme of my deity, Sehanine, god of the moon/night, love and misdirection/illusion, even if it might get in the way of pure optimization.

What are y'alls suggestions

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
Maybe have his or her moods vacillate with the waxing and waning of the moon? Perhaps when the moon is full his or her personality is the most outgoing and forceful and when the moon is new he or she is the most secretive and mysterious.

Zardnaar

Legend
With stats like that you can probably make heavy armor work.

But IMHO every cleric should probably go with medium armor espicially with default array or close to it.

Str
Dex 14
Con 15
Int
Wis 16
Cha

Assign rest how you like. After racial 18 wisdom 16 con.

Take booming blade or green Flame Blade with your high elf part.

Pick up warcaster at level 4.

If the DM let's you use the optional Tasha's rule replace divine strike with the 1d8 part on cantrips.

So you have a very versatile characters. With guidance good at skills swap your elf weapons for more tools.

Your decent at melee and can nova like a boss like any primary spellcaster and you can swap from melee to ranged easy enough. If it's more 6-8 encounters just pace your spells. Spiritual Guardians lasts ten minutes so you might get multiple encounters out if one casting.

Remember the divine strike ability applies to cantrips eg GFB so combine that with spiritual guardians/weapon.

If you want to go pure ranged just key everything off wisdom. Toll the dead, guiding Bolt pick ranged spells. You can do both.

My wife is building a dusk cleric and is splashing a sorcerer level.

Heal good at skills, melee, ranged etc. And tools. Use a rapier. So basically regardless of how the DM runs the game or structures encounters you're all good. Out of combat still good. Maybe make that last stat a 14 in charisma.

Roleplay how you like or maybe your moon magic is string at full moon (play as spellcaster) and weaker when it wanes (go melee).

DarkMoon250

Explorer
With stats like that you can probably make heavy armor work.

But IMHO every cleric should probably go with medium armor espicially with default array or close to it.

Str
Dex 14
Con 15
Int
Wis 16
Cha

Assign rest how you like. After racial 18 wisdom 16 con.

Take booming blade or green Flame Blade with your high elf part.

Pick up warcaster at level 4.

If the DM let's you use the optional Tasha's rule replace divine strike with the 1d8 part on cantrips.

So you have a very versatile characters. With guidance good at skills swap your elf weapons for more tools.

Your decent at melee and can nova like a boss like any primary spellcaster and you can swap from melee to ranged easy enough. If it's more 6-8 encounters just pace your spells. Spiritual Guardians lasts ten minutes so you might get multiple encounters out if one casting.

Remember the divine strike ability applies to cantrips eg GFB so combine that with spiritual guardians/weapon.

If you want to go pure ranged just key everything off wisdom. Toll the dead, guiding Bolt pick ranged spells. You can do both.

My wife is building a dusk cleric and is splashing a sorcerer level.

Heal good at skills, melee, ranged etc. And tools. Use a rapier. So basically regardless of how the DM runs the game or structures encounters you're all good. Out of combat still good. Maybe make that last stat a 14 in charisma.

Roleplay how you like or maybe your moon magic is string at full moon (play as spellcaster) and weaker when it wanes (go melee).
I appreciate all the suggestions. I was wondering about taking shillelagh through a feat to make my weapon attacks scale with Wis, and maybe taking the Crusher feat alongside that to play with the quarterstaff's bludgeoning damage, but I don't know. I had also wondered if either of the '-touched' feats could be useful for this concept.

Zardnaar

Legend
I appreciate all the suggestions. I was wondering about taking shillelagh through a feat to make my weapon attacks scale with Wis, and maybe taking the Crusher feat alongside that to play with the quarterstaff's bludgeoning damage, but I don't know. I had also wondered if either of the '-touched' feats could be useful for this concept.

You can do that or splash a druid level. Gauntlets of Ogre power also solve that.

But if you have an 2
28 or higher yeah that's a decent option. You can also just melee with sacred flame/toll the dead and skip weapons after level 5.

Cleric can melee just fine using spells.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Okay, so what's the deal here? This is now the eighth thread you've created over the last month asking people for help in making a Twilight Cleric... thus far for four different gods and several different races. Does your DM just not know what kind of game they are running or do you have no idea what you want to do? Or are you not even playing in a game and are just coming up with ideas to keep yourself busy?

What's a good Egyptian/Pharoanic deity for this Twilight Cleric
Help a Cleric settle on a deity [Norse/Twilight edition]
Celtic Pantheon and Twilight Domain?
How to build a Twilight Domain Cleric of Exandria's Moonweaver?
What race would you pick for Twilight Cleric
Ideas for playing a Firbolg Twilight Cleric?
Building a High Elf Twilight Cleric

DarkMoon250

Explorer
Okay, so what's the deal here? This is now the eighth thread you've created over the last month asking people for help in making a Twilight Cleric... thus far for four different gods and several different races. Does your DM just not know what kind of game they are running or do you have no idea what you want to do? Or are you not even playing in a game and are just coming up with ideas to keep yourself busy?

What's a good Egyptian/Pharoanic deity for this Twilight Cleric
Help a Cleric settle on a deity [Norse/Twilight edition]
Celtic Pantheon and Twilight Domain?
How to build a Twilight Domain Cleric of Exandria's Moonweaver?
What race would you pick for Twilight Cleric
Ideas for playing a Firbolg Twilight Cleric?
Building a High Elf Twilight Cleric
The first two attempts at this campaign were derailed due to a lot of personal going-on's. Both were homebrew, and the DM didn't have any time to do any world-building for the setting. So, we decided it was better for everyone to switch to an official setting sourcebook and use some pre-made quests and adventures, and the one chose was EGTW.

The whole deal with the races is because I'm new to DnD, and building DnD characters, and also because I'm incredibly indecisive. It took a long time to just settle on elf.

Zardnaar

Legend
The first two attempts at this campaign were derailed due to a lot of personal going-on's. Both were homebrew, and the DM didn't have any time to do any world-building for the setting. So, we decided it was better for everyone to switch to an official setting sourcebook and use some pre-made quests and adventures, and the one chose was EGTW.

The whole deal with the races is because I'm new to DnD, and building DnD characters, and also because I'm incredibly indecisive. It took a long time to just settle on elf.

Not a mod you can ignore them.

Who died and made you mod?

Option paralysis is also a thing for newer players. Hell my wife is experienced player and has changed her mind at least three times on how she is building her twilight cleric with 8 days to go. Last I heard she's dipping a sorcerer level.

Last edited:

Remove ads