D&D 5E Can you use dueling and TWF at the same time? I think you can RAW.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But there's room for one imagined interpretation?
There is, but if you interpret the fiction in a particular way that doesn’t match with what the rules say, and you prioritize that interpretation over the text, “common sense” is really the only justification you have for your interpretation.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Indeed. Especially since the trope of the swordsman opening a fight by nailing one bad guy with a thrown knife (or pistol shot, for a musketeer) then leaping into the fray with flashing blade is well-established in swashbuckling fiction and media.
Agreed. There’s really nothing wrong with this tactic thematically or mechanically and it’s not even particularly strong from an optimization standpoint so I see no reason at all not to allow it.

ECMO3

Hero
Yeah if you want to keep throwing weapons away. At some point you're going to need a magic weapon, and I don't see wanting to throw those away. But this whole build is better off with a hand crossbow and Crossbow Expert anyways; Archery Style is superior.
You would need to give up a feat for this, give up AOOs and you would do very little extra damage on your turn.

At 4th level comparing ASI to CBE:
Dex ASI: 1d4+1d6+4Dex+2Dueling = 12 DPR

CBE: 2d6+6Dex = 13DPR

You have a 5% greater chance to hit, which will increase damage by a little over half a point per turn beyond this.

When you count this against lost AOOs and turns where you use a different bonus action, I think you will actually be behind.

The character I am talking about is going to be a Assassin-Conquest Paladin multiclass so he will have numerous bonus actions available between cunning action, steady aim, Paladin spells and Hex.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
You would need to give up a feat for this, give up AOOs and you would do very little extra damage on your turn.

At 4th level comparing ASI to CBE:
Dex ASI: 1d4+1d6+4Dex+2Dueling = 12 DPR

CBE: 2d6+6Dex = 13DPR

You have a 5% greater chance to hit, which will increase damage by a little over half a point per turn beyond this.

When you count this against lost AOOs and turns where you use a different bonus action, I think you will actually be behind.

The character I am talking about is going to be a Assassin-Conquest Paladin multiclass so he will have numerous bonus actions available between cunning action, steady aim, Paladin spells and Hex.
Treantmonk recently did a video on this topic, where he got a 20th level Ranger/Rogue/Fighter (I believe) to something like 244 damage using crossbows.

ECMO3

Hero
Treantmonk recently did a video on this topic, where he got a 20th level Ranger/Rogue/Fighter (I believe) to something like 244 damage using crossbows.

Yeah I watched that. That is a completely different character build though. As a Paladin-Rogue Archery isn't even available, nor really desireable since crossbows do not work with smites.

Remove ads