• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Canada portrayed negatively in games?

Roudi

First Post
In this thread. Raptor claims (and I quote):

Raptor said:
I am tired of the inaccuracies Role Playing Games portray of Canada and Canadians.
Now my gaming knowledge is a little sparse, but among all the games I've seen, I have rarely witnessed Canada portrayed either inaccurately or negatively. Can anyone enlighten to what games have shown Canada in a less than positive light?

Raptor

First Post
Your title is a bit misleading as I had an issue with inaccuracies as well. However are you some sort of crusader that feels no one else is entitled to their own opinion and perceptions? Your entire atitude has come across as nothing but antagonistic towards me dude, so I owe you nothing.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Quebec separates in many RPG products. I'm thinking of CyberPunk, Twilight 2000 and other near future RPGs.

In Twilight 2000, the separation of Quebec actually has an effect on the Canadian military because the armour divisions out East didn't actually have any... armour... when the separation happened. So the Mechanized Infantry divisions out East use requisitioned pickup trucks and so on.

Free Quebec in RIFTS is a humanocentric and xenophobic patriotic nation that ends up looking like a good guy in the face of the even more humanocentric and xenophobic Coalition based out of Chicago. In RIFTS, they have access to a technology that no one else has (except for a company in Germany that they sold the tech to in exchange for manufacturing capacity) that makes them stand out.

CyberSpace has very little reference to Canada - in 2067 Canada is the first nation to commence extensive Aqualogy development (off the coast of BC). In 2073 Quebec secedes from Canada. In 2075 Quebec rejoins Canada. The US annexes Ontario as a "Protectorate" in 2077. I also believe that there was a reference to the Stanley Cup and to Canadian Tire Money in sidebars in some of the other books in the line, but those are out in another room right now.

In CyberPunk, Canadian crops are wiped out with most of the world's in 2002 (only US crops survive, because the virus was a bioweapon and the US had the cure - you do the math). I don't think that Canada sees any other mention in the core book - but I'm sure there's references to it in other books (especially the 'unofficial' ones published by DP9 and written by a Montrealer).

In Underground, Canada (except for Quebec) is part of the US. They needed more states. 60 States (the classic 50 + the Canadian Provinces + Cuba). The People's Republic of Quebec (with a population of 8.5 million) is primarily Protestant and Scientologist in 2021. (oooooooh kay...) It separated in 2003, just prior the the US taking the rest of Canada as the 51-58th States. The Communist party won a landslide election victory there in 2008. It is effectively part of the European Common Market which is in turn controlled by the Scientologist stronghold of Neo-Deutchland.

In Transhuman Space, a 2031 Referendum has BC and Alberta separating from Canada. They separate in 2033 and form the Union of Alberta and British Columbia (ABC). In 2036, socio-economic stresses from the "loss of the west" led Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces to dissociate themselves from central Canada and negotiate membership in the EU. In 2041 Montreal separates from Quebec as one of the first Free Cities. By the game time in 2100, Canada is Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario. Quebec is a nation in the EU, as is Newfoundland and "The Maritime Union" (a nation formed of the ex-Atlantic provinces). (I don't own Fifth Wave - the book about Earth, so there may be more details in there about Canada and it's ex provinces).

I'm going to head for bed, but will dig through my other games later.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
For inaccuracies, check out the first adventure published for Werewolf the Apocalypse. It is PAINFUL.

The party is teleported to northern Saskatchewan, and the villain routinely drives between that location and Toronto, only 150 miles away.

Yep. 150 miles.

Aussiegamer

First Post
Raptor said:
Your title is a bit misleading as I had an issue with inaccuracies as well. However are you some sort of crusader that feels no one else is entitled to their own opinion and perceptions? Your entire atitude has come across as nothing but antagonistic towards me dude, so I owe you nothing.

At least he is not complaining about your english skills!

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
I'm not sure Canada gets such a bad rap in most RPG products. Of course there will be some that are just plain wrong, but if anyone has room to complain about their country being misrepresented in RPGs it would definately be the Americans (and now that I think about it, any nation that embraced a form of communism or totalitariansim in its past, when was the last time you read a RPG that has a peaceful Russian nation :)).

JDJblatherings

First Post
As a citizen of the U.S. I'm not sure if i trust Canada at all. over 80% of their population is poised within a 100 miles of or border? And just what are they trying to pull by calling ham "bacon" just becasue one serves it with breakfast?

:D

Committed Hero

Adventurer
It's hard to say in that list of science fiction future timelines is an accurate vehicle to judge whether Canada is portrayed poorly. The US gets about equal treatment.

I won't defend the 150 miles thing - everyone knows it should be around 220 kilometers.

Seriously, rpg writers are notorious for poor presentations of contemporary foreign countries. Canada is not alone in that regard.

Roudi

First Post
What can I say? There's a difference between opinion (such as "I don't like what you're doing here") and an objective statement of fact (such as "I don't like how Canada is disrespected in other games"). Since I have honestly never seen Canada portrayed as the bad guy, or a large evil, or even with negative stereotypes in gaming products, I found myself wondering what games you might have been referring to.

Now, I know full well that my gaming knowledge is limited, so that is why I have called upon the greater ENWorld community to enlighten me. After all, Raptor, you yourself have provided zero examples of this purported disrespect of our nation.

If this thread belongs in General Discussion then, by all means, may an empowered Moderator place it where it belongs.

Oh, and JDJblatherings... it's not ham, it's "peameal bacon". It's got "peameal". So not ham. Totally not ham, not in the slightest. K?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads