CANCELED: madwabbit's Spirit of the Century

Psion

Adventurer
Queenie122 said:
What exactly does that mean? I don't know anything about Traveller or Spirit of the Far Future. I'm usually good for a romance too, I'll try not to be too picky :)

Heh... okay.

Traveller = an old space opera game. Many people equate the common mode of gameplay in traveller (crew of a tramp trader that runs around and gets in trouble) to firefly. To the point that Joss Whedon has been asked if he had played the game as an inspiration for firefly. But more genreally, the game was largely based on the space SF of the 50s-70s. (Clark, Niven, Aasimov, Norton, Vance, etc.) Spirit of the Far Future is simply a rules set someone made up to run the traveller game using SotC-like rules.

Planetary romance = old "fantasy set in unrealistic takes on real planets", a subgenre in fantasy based on novels in the early 20th century, mostly Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars books and its imitators. For the most part, think fantasy in alien landscapes with heroes largely drawn from 20th or 21st century Earth. Oh yeah, usually the hero's main motivation were alien women in distress, thus the romance part. See the wikipedia article for more.

Or of course, there's SotC out of the book--Pulp Action heroics in a larger than life take on the 1920s. Which I assume you understand since it's what you signed up for. :)

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Alright, I've decided to not run Spirit of the Far Future. It got some changes from SotC, aside from not being what people signed up for, I am more familiar with SotC as written and would like to master that before I tinker around with variants.

I'll start working up a scenario tonight. Can everyone let me know if they have the book? If you are interested in contributing to character generation, I'd like to start that online. There's also an SRD online for those who don't have the book. I can handle the mechanics part if you aren't interested in that. What I would like players to participate in is the backstory part.

madwabbit

First Post
Psion said:
Alright, I've decided to not run Spirit of the Far Future. It got some changes from SotC, aside from not being what people signed up for, I am more familiar with SotC as written and would like to master that before I tinker around with variants.

I'll start working up a scenario tonight. Can everyone let me know if they have the book? If you are interested in contributing to character generation, I'd like to start that online. There's also an SRD online for those who don't have the book. I can handle the mechanics part if you aren't interested in that. What I would like players to participate in is the backstory part.
You rock.

Obviously I have the book, and the SRD is located at: http://zork.net/~nick/loyhargil/fate3/fate3.html.

Do we want to overhaul this thread, or start a new one? As I had mentioned before, I can scrub up the first post and title, point to the second post, which is yours, and you can edit that to reflect the new game. Or start a new thread. I was just thinking a new thread clutters stuff up, but it is of course easier for YOU to manage.

Seonaid

Explorer
Um, I'm at work and too lazy to read this thread, so give me the gist: are you still running this AM game, madwabbit?

madwabbit

First Post
Seonaid said:
Um, I'm at work and too lazy to read this thread, so give me the gist: are you still running this AM game, madwabbit?
Well, LazyBones, a game is going to be run in this slot but it is likely going to be Psion's Spirit of the Century game instead.

I will likely run this at NC Gameday instead, as it should be ready by then.

madwabbit

First Post
Seonaid said:
:fist: :p Thanks.
Sorry... I just know it won't be ready in time. Plus, I believe I will be running around a lot that morning as a part of Gameday hosting duties.

It *will* be ready for NC Gameday, and I swear by all that is holy and unholy to me that it will rock AND kick almighty ass. Guaranteed.

Remove ads