• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Change multiclassing prerequisites?

What should the multiclass prerequisite be?

• Higher than 13.

Votes: 9 15.8%

Votes: 19 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• None

Votes: 29 50.9%

mellored

Legend
given that one receives more than a feat in class features...etc for dipping into another's class.
I'm not convinced this is the case.
Especially since most level 1 class features don't stack.

A paladin taking a level of monk gets less than a paladin picking up tavern brawler with +1 Stat.

It was for cleric 1, but moving subclasses to 3 fixed that for them.

Clint_L

Legend
4th level feat: Class initiate
+1 ASI
you gain all 1st level benefits of a multiclass of the class of choice as in PHB. You do not gain any HP or HD.

8th level feat: Class adept, requires class initiate
+1 ASI
you gain 2nd and 3rd level class features of the chosen class. Do not gain any HP or HD from those levels.

12th level feat: Class expert, requires class initiate and adept
+1 ASI
you gain 4th and 5th level feature of the chosen class. Do not gain any HP or HD from those level. Do not gain 4th level ASI from that class

16th level feat: Class master, requires class initiate, adept and expert
+1 ASI
you gain 6th, 7th and 8th level class features of the chosen class. Do not gain any HP or HD from those level. Do not gain 8th level ASI from that class

19th level feat: Class paragon
+1 ASI
you gain 9th, 10th and 11th level class features of the chosen class. Do not gain any HP or HD from those level.

If epic destiny or what ever makes a return at 20th level
then you can gain all class features of 12th, 13th and 14th class levels, even the ASIs instead of that boon if you have all 5 feats before.
That’s incredibly unbalanced with other feats and with CR ratings and with any character who doesn’t take these feats. Basically, that’s extremely unbalanced and would require a total rewrite of the game. It’s not a serious idea for 1e.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
A Paladin can take a level of sorcerer or bard with no issues. But a level of wizard is going to cost him 5 point buy because.... ?
Because a wizard is an intelligence-based caster and should require an investment that a typical paladin PC (high in strength and charisma) wouldn't have.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
And they were right to do so.

Feats were the best innovation of 3e and it's a shame how WotC did their good child.
This so much, especially when 5e channeled that spite into creating so many new problems & limitations for everyone but the guy who strolls up to my table for the first ttrpg game ever without a couple minutes from me or another player helping them through chargen.

Yes there are fresh groups with nothing but the book to guide them, but "wow I really did not understand what I was doing, you guys should avoid that mistake. Can I fix this disaster?" is kind of a time honored tradition for anyone learning anything together

mellored

Legend
Which brings up the question of why classes are hard coded to certain stats at all. All it does is get int he way and cause MAD.
I mean, yea. But I don't think removing ability scores is going to fly.

... though they did add flexibility to the warlock last packet.

If the paladin and monks got to chose Int, Wis, or Cha for their secondary, then that would solve a lot too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads