• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Changing feats into rules

Relic

First Post
I already do a little of this in my games. Every class can take a -2 to attack to receive a +1 deflection bonus to AC, without the -5/+5 max/min. The Expertise feat makes this a 1 to 1 ration. It works well in my game because I use the Grim & Gritty rules and players cannot be as reckless in fighting enemies. Defense becomes an important part of the game and my players use this rule quite a bit.

I also allow finessable weapons to be finessed automatically but the wielder cannot get any strength bonus to damage on such weapons unless they take a feat that grants that very thing. Higher to hit bonuses occur for the dex-type characters but the damage range doesn't change. Combined with a defense bonus and my expertise change the effect really is appropriate in the balance scale.

I also allow weapons that are traditionally non-finessable to be finessable. This requires a feat though so the PCs are not getting the benefit for free.

I combined the feats Mounted Attack and Ride-by Attack. For training purposes I really do not see too much of a difference between the two and the few characters that end up taking Ride-by Attack are built around a mount... which none of my players ever make. So this grants some ability for mounted combat but does not create a huge scale of imbalance.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads