• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Character Creation] [VtR] nWoD Vampire Game

Graf

Explorer
Warshrike,
Having looked at the book I think Skyler almost certainly has Fighting Style: Boxing instead of Fighting Style: Kung-fu. Boxing, as it's presented in the book, is really more about brutalizing people with your fists. Kung-fu seems to be more about making jabs to the throat and defensive fighting.

Graf

Explorer
Warstrike,

Last thought. If your character's an experienced drug user you might have a specialty in Street Drugs for your medicine skill. It would cover stuff like identifying drugs, knowing what they're called, what they're worth, what effects they have and who they're popular with, etc.

Jemal

Adventurer
Allright, my roomate has the source material, but I've only made 1 character with the new book before, and he was a full-out human, so I may need a little assistance.

First offf, when you said make them human first, did you mean design a human character, and then AFTER that you'll tell us what to add for the vampires?

And as for my knowing vampires background, I was actually hoping to put a few points into various skills to account for him having a similar level of 'general vampire knowledge' to what I know (Keeping in mind that I don't really follow the WoD Storyline, so it's not going to be rules mechanics, etc). IRL I'm a bit of a vampire freak.. Read the books (Fiction AND non-fiction), watch movies/documentaries, etc, and that's what I was thinking for the char in this case, as well.

Graf

Explorer
Only,

Great answers! I don't want to push forward too much further until I see what the other characters bring to the table.

OnlytheStrong said:
The Kung Fu thing will disappear soon. I can't seem to explain it properly as I was hoping to. He will probably go with a firearm, as I honestly can't see him as a "slug it out" type.
Kung-fu requires explanation. People are welcome to take it if they want provided it fits with their character background.
There's nothing wrong with Brawl as a skill. Growing up in crappy neighborhoods means fights. Being in prison means fights. You can get a lot of fighting experience without looking for trouble.
(Not that I personally have any idea about it, but it's the world of darkness, so things can be pretty tough).

Two in a skill represents general facility in the area.
For example (Just cause I was thinking about it): Skyler's Medicine of 2 doesn't mean he's tried to become a doctor. It just means that he's got some experience with healing up (himself and others) and maybe some experience with something else. If push came to shove could he try to stich up a wound? Sure.
Would it be a nasty mess? Oh yeah. But he'd be marginally better at it than someone who's never

Firearms
1) probably require some sort of training (unless you just want to have 1 dot) and/or a lot of practice shooting guns (growing up on a grazing farm out in the wilderness where they have wolves or in a hunting family)
2) you almost certainly won't have guns at the start of the game (though you'll probably be able to get them with some time and the proper connections)

Graf

Explorer
Jemal said:
Allright, my roomate has the source material, but I've only made 1 character with the new book before, and he was a full-out human, so I may need a little assistance.
No problem. We've got some (admittedly haphazard) stuff on the thread already.

Jemal said:
First off, when you said make them human first, did you mean design a human character, and then AFTER that you'll tell us what to add for the vampires?
Basically yes. It just means, skip section 5, which involves "adding a supernatural template".
(of course if you want to buy supernatural merits like blood potency, or whatever, you need to save some merit points from section 7 for that)

Jemal said:
And as for my knowing vampires background, I was actually hoping to put a few points into various skills to account for him having a similar level of 'general vampire knowledge' to what I know (Keeping in mind that I don't really follow the WoD Storyline, so it's not going to be rules mechanics, etc). IRL I'm a bit of a vampire freak.. Read the books (Fiction AND non-fiction), watch movies/documentaries, etc, and that's what I was thinking for the char in this case, as well.
This is tough.
I think I have a solution. I'll PM email you.

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I came up with a totally new solution for Diego's fighting problem :) Knives. I figure a knife is easy to conceal and everywhere in prison. I think it fits more than him being a brawler (low strength wouldnt' help him much). Anyway, I'm happy with the new decision. Lemme know what you think.

Jemal, you playing yourself? I don't mean that in a bad way, the very first vampire I created was based off me. Except he had no grasp on the judicial system. Anyway, I like all the concepts and think it will be alot of fun playing with you guys.

WarShrike

First Post
Thanks for clearing up the Merits & stuff, i understand a bit better now. I made some changes to my character, although the Kung-Fu remains. I think i've explained it rather well.

I do need some clarification elsewhere though. Thankfully, it just requires a Yes/No answer.

As it stands, im building this character on the premise that his skills/merits cannot go higher than their base stats/prereqs.

Example #1: I have 4 Strength, so i took 4 Brawling, if i wanted 5 Brawling, i'd first have to raise my Strength to 5 dots.

Example #2: Kung-Fu prereqs are Strength, Dexterity, Stamina, and Brawling. I only took 2 dots in Kung-Fu because although my Strength and Brawling are each at 4 dots, my Dexterity and Stamina are each 2 dots. To get more dots in Kung-Fu, i must first raise both my Dex and Sta.

Am i doing this right?

Oh, and btw, my thoughts on Medicine were running paralel to yours. I took it thinking he would know about legal drugs, their effects, and most importantly, their side effects. This in order to cut his drugs with something else or make his own homebrew snort dust. So the specialty you mentionned does indeed appeal to me. :)

Wait, cross out the smile, must remember, im the Fonz. :cool:

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
Good suggestion regarding the knives. I'm really indifferent as long as it fits.

Glad to see we're on the same page regarding Medicine. With 2 dice and sub-par mental skills (even with the specialty) you're not going to be whipping up stuff in your bathroom (at least not stuff that anyone would want to buy) but you could do simple creation activites, identify purity/strength in a casual setting, make guesses as to who's high and what they're on, etc.

WarShrike said:
As it stands, im building this character on the premise that his skills/merits cannot go higher than their base stats/prereqs.
I don't believe this is a rule I've seen anywhere.
So you can, for example, be a complete social misfit (low social scores) but very functional on the street (high streetwise).

Personally, I have to say that having a really large pool of dice in combat is less useful in vampire than in other games*. It fits your character concept well, and I have no problems with it, and there will almost certainly be fights, but there will also be many situations where it will be neutral (i.e. won't help you) and/or could be a hindrance (indirectly, but a hindrance none-the-less).

The above is just a general statement. Neither meant to encourage or discourage any particular choice.

*=i.e. Werewolf, where a lot of social situations can basically be turned into combat situations by challenging people who disagree with you to a duel and then beating the snot out of them.
Then they have to agree with you.

Vampire? Doesn't work like that.

Graf

Explorer
Just checked. Merits and skills are independent of their base stats.

Once you've fulfilled the prerequisites you can take as many dots as you like.

For fighting styles Boxing and Kung-fu are listed as specialties. I don't know if that means you need to have the specialty (in the skill) before getting the merit or just that you get the benefit of the specialty when making rolls with the merit (the latter seems like it makes more sense).

I'm still thinking Skyler would have FS: Box and not FS: Kung-fu.

Remove ads