D&D (2024) Character Origins Playtest Poll

I have used material from the One D&D Character Origins Playtest document in a gaming session.

• True

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • False

Votes: 51 69.9%

• Poll closed .

CrashFiend82

Explorer
Well if they don’t add something what was the point of calling out recharge as the replacement.
I think this was an odd misunderstanding of what Jeremy Crawford said. It was that they (the designers) viewed recharge abilities as the monsters "critical hit". Those large attacks like the Dragon's Breath Attack is where it does it's big "punch" of damage. They are not intending to add recharge abilities or any other mechanic as a replacement (so far as they've stated). Now if they changed the recharge to allow more DM discretion, I feel like that would be great (I don't think that's happening)

CrashFiend82

Explorer
Here is the rub for myself. Based on the build a monster rules in the DMG that is calculated into the damage of the CR. I hope they retool and expand those rules but sadly I don't think they'll be playtested... So having to wait for the new DMG is frustrating. To be honest those rules should be moved to the Monster Manual along with quick and dirty templates to increase a monster.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think this was an odd misunderstanding of what Jeremy Crawford said. It was that they (the designers) viewed recharge abilities as the monsters "critical hit". Those large attacks like the Dragon's Breath Attack is where it does it's big "punch" of damage. They are not intending to add recharge abilities or any other mechanic as a replacement (so far as they've stated). Now if they changed the recharge to allow more DM discretion, I feel like that would be great (I don't think that's happening)
The new Monster Manual will probably use the feature more often.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well if they don’t add something what was the point of calling out recharge as the replacement.
That's going to be part of the internal playtest, probably, nailing down the math for the Monster Manual refresh. For the public playtest, making the PCs a little supercharged is probably in WotC interest for gaugijg other mechanics attraction in play.

The most straightforward solution (to this completely invented non-problem) would be to have a monster rolling a nat20 recharge any unrecharged recharge abilities.

But, at the end of the day, I think they are more interested in just straight-up nerfing monsters lest a fluke early death turn-off any new player from the game.

darjr

I crit!
I’d love some options for monsters with a crit other than double damage dice.

Something tunable for low levels and higher.

Maybe provide a list of options for monsters that don’t have them built in.

Last edited:

Baumi

Adventurer
Played with the new rules, but not the Character Options. So far we didn't have much of a difference, now player rolled a 1 or 20 and no one grappled. One Human got Inspiration after a long Rest and a monster-crit was denied, but this wouldn't have made much of a difference in the situation.

I hope we will see more 1's and 20's in my next adventures ;)

Btw. I just realiced that I can now attack unconscious Characters, since monsters dont crit .. so they dont give two death failures with one strike anymore.

Remove ads