D&D 5E Check Out Planescape's Table of Contents & More!

A gallery of photos of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse!

Brandes Stoddard has received a copy of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse (which come out in two weeks!) and is posting loads of photos over on Blue Sky. You can check out his feed for the whole treasure trove--here's a look at the table of contents.

1.jpg
2.jpeg

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
So you think it was wrong for TSR and WotC to use these for decades prior to now?
Did they really 'use' the gods or just slip them in as cameos? It gave them stats but the only ones who really got love to them were the Norse and Olympic crews, while everyone else was 'yeah they're around I guess'

Also to just. Go off on one of my tangents about older D&D...

Not mention no mention of the Olympic Gods outside of the name of the Plane, like in the adventure an obvious reference to Zeus as the father to a pair of Empyreans Daughters refers just says their Father is a Storm God. Pathetic, just absolutely pathetic. The same thing with the Thethbys in the Outlands founded by an "God of Knowledge", so the whole river Ma'at thing (which btw is the name of an Egyptian deity), has been stripped of Egyptian flavour beyond the names.
Ah, so the Olympic gods getting the amount of respect D&D showed the gods of... Every single other religion, then?

Seriously, old D&D didn't give any respect. If you're going to have bloody Olympus, Hades, Elysium (which should be, y'know. Part of Hades) and Asgard around and not even include the Duat, Takamagahara, Yomi or Xibalba? Lazy. Blatent where D&D's biases lie. The 'shove everything into the 9 point alignment system' just resulted in all of the interesting parts being torn from the various other deities and them being peppered around like glorified cameos

Also

Super generic Feywild location, like if no one told you it had a portal to Aborea you wouldn't know it isn't the Feywild.
Aboria's basically a proto-Feywild, and the Feywild's done a much better job at it. Making that realm the chaotic forest of elves and fairies and fairy-elves was always going to lean this way, and why it honestly should have been replaced. Its the chaotic side of the planes anyway, just shove in a new one to add some new flavour. The Planes should not be solid and unchanging, as that's Lawful, and one entire side of the thing should be very against that

Not the Duat of course (that is defo the lawful and structured side, though would be a far more interesting thing to shove in Elysium's place), but changing it up to make a far more diverse set of planes probably should have been done given the Feywild's sheer growth

dave2008

Legend
Ah, I don't really care about business. I care about what's available and what isn't.
Depending on what you mean by "available," then you care about business. If you are not going to make it available yourself, then, generally speaking, you need a company to make it.

Unless you mean something else entirely. If so, please clarify.

To clarify my previous post: I would love to have an updated Deities and Demigods with a boat load of RL and fantasy religions/mythologies. However, I realize that is an incredibly selfish and privileged desire. I can want that, but still understand it is a product that shouldn't be made. Now, I may (and want to) make that for myself, but I shouldn't expect others to fulfill my selfish desires. I should handle that.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To clarify my previous post: I would love to have an updated Deities and Demigods with a boat load of RL and fantasy religions/mythologies. However, I realize that is an incredibly selfish and privileged desire. I can want that, but still understand it is a product that shouldn't be made. Now, I may (and want to) make that for myself, but I shouldn't expect others to fulfill my selfish desires. I should handle that.
I disagree. The Deities and Demigods is not purporting to be those religions in any way, shape or form. They are very loosely based on the myths. It's no different than when you go to a movie that is based on a real life event only to realize that 95% of it has been changed and isn't based on that event. It's so changed as to not be the real life thing.

dave2008

Legend
I disagree. The Deities and Demigods is not purporting to be those religions in any way, shape or form. They are very loosely based on the myths. It's no different than when you go to a movie that is based on a real life event only to realize that 95% of it has been changed and isn't based on that event. It's so changed as to not be the real life thing.
While I agree with you, it is not about your or my opinion. That is the point. We have to look beyond our viewpoints

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Depending on what you mean by "available," then you care about business. If you are not going to make it available yourself, then, generally speaking, you need a company to make it.

Unless you mean something else entirely. If so, please clarify.

I don't see why it shouldn't be made.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
While I agree with you, it is not about your or my opinion. That is the point. We have to look beyond our viewpoints
And I say that by that logic, the vast majority of D&D and a whole lot of other fantasy media needs to be banned and any who like it need to be ashamed of themselves. Which seems ridiculous to me.

dave2008

Legend
I don't see why it shouldn't be made.
That is very clear.

It also not necessarily that it shouldn't be made. Like I said, I might make it. However, D&D (WotC) is in a particular position and they should not make it. You can make it, I can make it, maybe a 3PP can make. But the stewards of D&D should not, IMO

Remove ads

Remove ads