• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cityscape ToC

Psion

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I have Frostburn and Stormwrack and don't recall any substitution levels. Did the desert book have them?

They weren't formatted like substitution levels, but class variant abilities. But essentially.

glass

(he, him)
Psion said:
I personally think the idea of an urban druid is a little goofy...
Why? Humans are creatures too. A city is no more un-druidy than a badger cette, beaver dam, or ant colony. :D

glass.

morbiczer

First Post
I have Dragon 317 (or whichever) which has the urban druid, and I think it is a pretty good take on the subject. I don't have UA (or is it AU?) with the urban ranger though. It's no big thing but I think urban versions of these classes should have gone into this book, even if it had been only through reprints.

Psion

Adventurer
glass said:
Why? Humans are creatures too. A city is no more un-druidy than a badger cette, beaver dam, or ant colony. :D

What humans are would be represented by civilization and structure and edifice, not a druid with a city coat of paint.

I hate parallelism in game design, especially when it clearly does not apply. This gets filed in my gaming refuse bin along with "anti-poisions that only hurt evil creatures" from book of exalted deeds.

glass

(he, him)
Psion said:
What humans are would be represented by civilization and structure and edifice, not a druid with a city coat of paint.
Cities have been around for thousands of years IRL, and could have been around for millions of yearsin a fantasy world. They will have developed their own unique eco-systems. And if they have eco-systems, I don't see why they can't have druids.

Psion said:
I hate parallelism in game design, especially when it clearly does not apply. This gets filed in my gaming refuse bin along with "anti-poisions that only hurt evil creatures" from book of exalted deeds.
If by 'parallelism' you mean what I think you mean, then I don't generally like it either, but I don't agree that it applies here. You are talking about the mindset that says we need a divine bard because we have an arcane one, and paladins for all alignments that are mirrors of the LG one, and yes, "posions are evil, but these are poisons for good characters to use, and they're not evil because...er well no reason really, except they are printed in the BoED and have a different name", right?

But that is very different from saying a druid can be at home in a city with his fellow adventurers if that is what the player wants.

glass.

Aus_Snow

First Post
morbiczer said:
I don't have UA (or is it AU?) with the urban ranger though.
Now you do. :)

It's from Unearthed Arcana (so, UA) - the WotC book. There's an absolute goldmine of stuff in it, if you happen to like variant systems. A lot of that is also on that site, d20srd.org, however. Worth bookmarking, IMO.

In other news, I'm now waiting for my FLGS to get this book in, so I can have a proper look at it. Interest has been got.

Psion

Adventurer
glass said:
Cities have been around for thousands of years IRL, and could have been around for millions of yearsin a fantasy world. They will have developed their own unique eco-systems. And if they have eco-systems, I don't see why they can't have druids.

They don't have their own eco-systems. No city that has ever stood on the face of the Earth could feed itself without the addition of the countryside, and having one in fantasy would be a unique fantasy construct of its own. Cities only feed themselves by organized influence on the environment, civilization. That doesn't, to me, suggest anything like a druid.

But if it works for you, fly with it. As for me, I find the concept conceptually problematic and was glad not to see any precious page space squandered on such a concept.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads