D&D 5E CL: Battle For Baldur's Gate Mechanics Spoiled by 401 Games!

Scribe

Legend
Having played both that is an gross overstatement that grows less and less true all the time.
Having played a TON of BG3 early, it really isnt an exaggeration at the time. They modded their game and called it Baldurs Gate, and pushed back against requests to make it more faithful to 5e saying it wasn't 'good gameplay' while they laughed at their meme generator with exploding barrels and eating roast dwarf legs during combat.

Do they still do party movement worse than BG 1 ever did?

Having played a TON of BG3 early, it really isnt an exaggeration at the time. They modded their game and called it Baldurs Gate, and pushed back against requests to make it more faithful to 5e saying it wasn't 'good gameplay' while they laughed at their meme generator with exploding barrels and eating roast dwarf legs during combat.

Do they still do party movement worse than BG 1 ever did?

I haven't played in awhile, but I know that there has been a ton of improvements like to UI and stuff. I'm just saying check back when they are finished, they are trying to juggle the DOS1&2 fandoms with D&D's fandom.

Scribe

Legend
I haven't played in awhile, but I know that there has been a ton of improvements like to UI and stuff. I'm just saying check back when they are finished, they are trying to juggle the DOS1&2 fandoms with D&D's fandom.

Maybe. Its the only game in recent memory I looked into Modding enough to understand where and what I would have to change to fix it.

Okay the preview is out and some pretty big news.

The Commander Decks have 10 new cards each and they are:

Red Green Exit From Exile (speculated to be a deck built around the adventure mechanic). Some think the creature on the front is a Tabaxi or Shifter.

Black White Party Time (clearly the party mechanic is returning). Does anyone recognized the blond woman on the cover?

Red Blue Dragonic Disscent (Dragons obviously, but I'm not sure what the mechanical core identity will be).

Blue Black Mindflayarrrs (Speculation is that this will be a mix of Mindflayers and Pirates).

Minc is back and he's powerful Planeswalker this time, that can be your Commander.

The set has over 900+ cards (but that includes alt art and cards from the Commander Decks).

Boo is on the set boosters and is funny and adorable.

The Dual Colour lands from Battle Bond return with new D&D art as does Reflective Pool.

And for those who don't play paper, only Arena, Arena is getting it's own full seperate (but related set) D&D set, Alchemy Horizons: Baldur's Gate, which will have hundreds of cards, some will be straight from CLB, some will be modified versions of CLB cards adjusted for 1 on 1 formatsvand some will be new. So excited for this as I mostly play Arena.

It's going straight into Alchemy and Historic (and I'm guessing Historic Brawl), but it will also get it's own drafts, set mastery, etc..., so unlike Standard that gets nothing in the Summer this year Alchemy gets it's first full set coming in July. Alchemy haters heads are going to explode. Thankfully I love Alchemy cards.

So excited for this. I wonder if they will pull in cards from AFC Commander Decks too? I also curious if they will have a Alchemy/Brawl version of Commander Legends Draft.

Elder Brains and Ancient Brass Dragons get cards as does Wand of Wonders and Fireball & Lightening Bolt get reprints with new art including manual alt art.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Okay the preview is out and some pretty big news.

The Commander Decks have 10 new cards each and they are:

Red Green Exit From Exile (speculated to be a deck built around the adventure mechanic). Some think the creature on the front is a Tabaxi or Shifter.

Black White Party Time (clearly the party mechanic is returning). Does anyone recognized the blond woman on the cover?

Red Blue Dragonic Disscent (Dragons obviously, but I'm not sure what the mechanical core identity will be).

Blue Black Mindflayarrrs (Speculation is that this will be a mix of Mindflayers and Pirates).

Minc is back and he's powerful Planeswalker this time, that can be your Commander.

The set has over 900+ cards (but that includes alt art and cards from the Commander Decks).

Boo is on the set boosters and is funny and adorable.

The Dual Colour lands from Battle Bond return with new D&D art as does Reflective Pool.

And for those who don't play paper, only Arena, Arena is getting it's own full seperate (but related set) D&D set, Alchemy Horizons: Baldur's Gate, which will have hundreds of cards, some will be straight from CLB, some will be modified versions of CLB cards adjusted for 1 on 1 formatsvand some will be new. So excited for this as I mostly play Arena.

It's going straight into Alchemy and Historic (and I'm guessing Historic Brawl), but it will also get it's own drafts, set mastery, etc..., so unlike Standard that gets nothing in the Summer this year Alchemy gets it's first full set coming in July. Alchemy haters heads are going to explode. Thankfully I love Alchemy cards.

So excited for this. I wonder if they will pull in cards from AFC Commander Decks too? I also curious if they will have a Alchemy/Brawl version of Commander Legends Draft.

Elder Brains and Ancient Brass Dragons get cards as does Wand of Wonders and Fireball & Lightening Bolt get reprints with new art including manual alt art.

Cool!

Just learned about a new mechanic. You will be able to Customize Legendary creatures with "Powerful Background" cards. I think that this might replace the partner mechanic, like certain Legendary creatures might be able to choose a Background Card to act as a co-Commander.

So say a Shadowheart card, which hypothetically is a mono black card has [blank mechanic] which means if you choose her to be your Commander you can choose a Background card that is mono red or mono white or another colour and it joins her as a functional co-commander in the Command Zone. Kind of like Partner except the Background isn't a creature card, but more likely an Aura Enchantment instead or maybe even a new card type all together.

And this is the mechanic that the Commander Decks likely use themselves.

https://preview.redd.it/o1ivespo3fp...bp&s=9c8aa731f41ca4de1e237d2a66721b1d673f30f9

So far the six lands they showed are all reprints of lands that are worth serious money, like $20 to $40 or more apiece.

That Minsc is shockingly powerful and it also going to like be an expensive chase card. One person suggested it could be the second most powerful planeswalker card after Oko.

The Elder Brain & Ancient Black Dragon are extremely powerful cards as well, but off set partly by being high mana cost, but if used right both can be game winning cards. The black Dragon is part of an Elder Dragon cycle. I supect the cost of Timat is going to go back up.

Folks complained that Commander Legends and Adventures in the Forgotten Realms sets were underpowered, their offspring appears not to have that issue, like at all, CLB is looking like it could explode like Modern Horizons 2.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases