• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Class Dice

Stormonu

Legend
Thats a good compromise. I didnt like AEDU but wierdly I do like this idea. Although I was thinking of having CS dice refresh every combat or hour rather then every round. Which would reduce the worry about just dice stacking damage each round.

Well, none of this set in stone, and having it either at a set amount at the start of combat or refreshing slowly will help to draw down the hps you need for monsters, and possibly makes the combat less yahoo with crazy moves being thrown every round to every couple of rounds or even less frequently. It very much can be dialed in one direction or another as long as you can easily see what the changes do up front.

For ex, if you expect you game to average, say 4 combat encounters a day and you want the combat to last about 5 rounds each with no Class Dice refreshing (say, to somewhat emulate a Vancian Wizard) you could give the characters up to 20 times the dice listed for their level (or any amount inbetween) to represent what they can do in a given session/day/whatever. You could even require the player to allocate his dice to "memorize" certain spells, or be a little looser to let the player select on the fly to emulate a 3E favored soul or sorcerer.

timASW

Banned
Banned
Well, none of this set in stone, and having it either at a set amount at the start of combat or refreshing slowly will help to draw down the hps you need for monsters, and possibly makes the combat less yahoo with crazy moves being thrown every round to every couple of rounds or even less frequently. It very much can be dialed in one direction or another as long as you can easily see what the changes do up front.

For ex, if you expect you game to average, say 4 combat encounters a day and you want the combat to last about 5 rounds each with no Class Dice refreshing (say, to somewhat emulate a Vancian Wizard) you could give the characters up to 20 times the dice listed for their level (or any amount inbetween) to represent what they can do in a given session/day/whatever. You could even require the player to allocate his dice to "memorize" certain spells, or be a little looser to let the player select on the fly to emulate a 3E favored soul or sorcerer.

True, given the modular concept of 5e I like how you could emulate lots of different play styles. Seems to fit what they want to do without making you learn a bunch of extra rules.

Li Shenron

Legend
Thinking about it, it can make for a nice system, but I wouldn't call it D&D. It rocks to have one class use these dice for additional effects, it might still be ok for more classes, but when it becomes such a key element of every character, and even replaces the slot-based spellcasting mechanic, then it's starting to feel too far away from the traditional D&D gaming experience for me, possibly even farther than AEDU.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Thinking about it, it can make for a nice system,
Dice pool systems can be pretty decent.

but I wouldn't call it D&D. It rocks to have one class use these dice for additional effects, it might still be ok for more classes, but when it becomes such a key element of every character, and even replaces the slot-based spellcasting mechanic, then it's starting to feel too far away from the traditional D&D gaming experience for me, possibly even farther than AEDU.
You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

Blackbrrd

First Post
I just got to read a bit of the PHB3 for 4e and it actually had a cool mechanic for psionic abilities with power points and augment1-4 on at-will powers. A friend of mine who were looking at the Cleric after looking at the Ardent decided on the Ardent because it had much more options and fiddly stuff. For some players it will be the direct opposite, they want a simple class.

Because people want to play classes that are different in complexity (from low to high) I think that going for a unified mechanic actually is counter-productive. It's better to have a few different base mechanics for the "extra" powers that each class gets that a single unified mechanic.

Remove ads