Claviger- Combat PrC

Rabelais

First Post
Ok, be gentle... it's my first shot at a PrC. It's intended for my Monk in a RTToEE game. I'm going to be working on the Flavor Text part so that it has a little more Flava. Here are the nuts and bolts of it though.

I'm a little concerned that it's basically Monk, with the best parts of Fighter and Duelist cut/pasted on. I slightly nerfed Canny Defense as it's presented in the Duelist PrC so that the bonus to AC arrives every other level. I'm a little shaky with the requirements as well... I needed something that will allow the character to select the PrC at 5th level. Not necessarily Attack Bonus though. Any ideas?

This emerged when I discovered this great word in a thesaurus, under bodyguard. Claviger does actually mean bearer of the keys and Club-bearer.

Claviger of Corellon Larethian “Club-Bearer”

Claviger is an elven term with two meanings. Meaning “Bearer of the Keys” as well as “Club Bearer”, both definitions are instructive with regards to the claviger prestige class. The claviger is a master bodyguard and agent trained to proactively counter threats to the Church of Corellon Larethian. For the most part, adolescents enter the service as orphans, usually out of a sense of obligation to the church.
Clavigers may emerge from any class, however most clavigers begin their training within the church hierarchy as fighters, paladins or monks. Rogues make excellent candidates for admission within the society due to their many varied skills. Very few clerics, bards, sorcerers or wizards go on to become clavigers..

Hit Die: d8

Requirements: Race (Elven), Alignment (Lawful) Knowledge (religion) 8, Diplomacy 8, Sense Motive 8, Bluff 8

Class Skills The Claviger’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Armor and Weapon Proficiency: As the base class of the individual.

Save Progression: As the base class of the individual.

Combat Progression: The claviger’s attack and damage bonuses progress as if the individual were still a member of their base class. When a new claviger level is gained, the character improves as if he had also gained a level in whatever class he belonged to before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one class he must decide which class he improves for the purpose of base attack progression.

Canny Defense (Ex): At 1st level, and every other level thereafter (3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th.) a claviger adds 1 point of Intelligence bonus (if any) his Dexterity bonus to modify Armor Class when not wearing armor or using a shield. If a claviger is caught flat-footed or otherwise denied his Dexterity bonus, he also loses this bonus.

Fortitude: At 1st level the claviger gains the benefit of the Endurance feat.

Bonus Feats: The claviger gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and every other claviger level thereafter (4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th.) These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A claviger must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.
These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. A claviger is not limited to the list of fighter bonus feats when choosing these feats.

Enhanced Mobility (Ex): At 3rd level, when wearing no armor and not using a shield, a claviger gains an additional +4 bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity caused when he moves out of a threatened square.

Improved Reaction (Ex): At 5th level, a duelist gains a +2 bonus on initiative checks.
At 9th level, the bonus increases to +4. This bonus stacks with the benefit provided by the Improved Initiative feat.

1 Canny Defense, Endurance
2 Bonus Feat
3 Canny Defense, Enhanced Mobility
4 Bonus Feat
5 Improved Reaction +2
6 Bonus Feat
7 Canny Defense
8 Bonus Feat
9 Improved Reaction +4
10 Bonus Feat

Sravoff

First Post
It seems okay from first look, I must admit I am not one known for good balancing and have never seen the attack progression as you have made. The isea is a good one though don't take that the wrong way.

Personally I would lower the bonus feats a little, probably by two. I would also allow monks that classed into this prestige class to be able to continue to progress as monks.

Lets see what others say about the way the saves and base attack bonus progressions.

Also, does flurry of blows improvve with level?

-Sravoff

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Let's see... this class gets:
- Saves of a Monk (best)
- Bonus Feats of a Fighter (excellent)
- Skills of a Monk (decent)
- Another AC bonus, faster than what a Monk usually gets (good)
- Special goodies (nice)

So, why bother with Fighter ever if this PrC exists?

Too strong.

-- N

Ferret

Explorer
Yeah, very good PrC, too good perhaps. I would add in more monk-centric prerequisites, take away two of the bonus feats so they are on 2nd, 6th and 10th. Maybe knock down a save (will?)

Also what progresses for the monk? Does it stop all progression? (AC bonuses, unarmed damage etc.)

jaker2003

Explorer
Sravoff said:
Also, does flurry of blows improvve with level?
-Sravoff

Actually, flurry of blows is based off BAB, not level. So If you classed out of Monk, your flurry of blows still improves.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
jaker2003 said:
Actually, flurry of blows is based off BAB, not level.

Tip: stay away from "actually" until you're Hypersmurf.

You're confusing iterative attacks with flurry, the latter of which is certainly based off of monk level.

Note how the monk's flurry column gets better at 5th & 9th level? That's not from BAB. Note the extra attack at 11th level? His BAB is +7.

-- N

Rabelais

First Post
What I intended to give up with the PrC is all of the more mystic "Monkey" stuff. No Diamond Soul, Immunity to Aging, High Speed, Able to fall from tall buildings in a single bound stuff.

I guess my question is... Is that enough? I think it's balanced enough for our game. We run a pretty high power game after all.

I'll take another look at the bonus feat selection. Please feel free to add more feedback. :)

Remove ads