[CoC] Some Firearm Questions

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
I just got CoC d20 yesterday, and a few questions came up while reading through it. I realize that this might have been covered somewhere, but if it is, I probably missed that section.

Since firearms aren’t given sizes, would a pistol be Small, and therefore be considered a Light weapon? Are shotguns and most rifles Medium?

Does Multishot affect the penalty for using a Standard weapon's multiple attacks? The feat description says it works only for Multi- and Autofire, but the chart and text on page 80 seem to suggest otherwise. Which one is right? I’ll assume that the text and chart on page 80 are correct.

Are you able to dual-wield pistols? Is there a special feat or mechanic that I missed, or does it follow the same mechanic as D&D, where Ambidexterity affects it, but Two-Weapon Fighting doesn't, giving you a -4/-4 to hit? (Assuming that pistols are Light.)

If you can dual-wield pistols, can you use the pistols' multiple attack ability to fire each pistol multiple times? Could an investigator with Ambidexterity and Multishot fire two Light, Standard pistols simultaneously for a total of –8/-8 –8/-8 penalty on his attacks? This is –4 for dual-wielding with Ambidexterity and a Light weapon, plus –4 from firing a Standard gun with Multishot.

Hypothetically, can an investigator fire a shotgun or rifle with one hand? (I realize this is quite a stretch… Please ignore realism for a moment. ;) ) Would it use the rule listed for Heavy Crossbows in the PHB, where a PC can fire one one-handed, but they receive an additional –4 to hit, on top of dual-wielding penalties?

If so, could you fire two shotguns or rifles at once, with the total penalties being –10 and –14? (Without Ambidexterity, and with shotguns and rifles being considered Medium.) This is –6 and –10 for normal dual-wielding, plus an additional –4 to hit from the crossbow mechanic.

Would you be able to use the weapon’s additional attacks if dual-wielding? (Assuming the gun in question isn’t pump- or bolt-action.) Could an investigator with Ambidexterity and Multishot, dual-wielding two Autofire rifles, fire both simultaneously for a total of –14/-14/-14 -14/-14/-14 penalties to his attacks? This is –6 for dual-wielding two Medium weapons with Ambidexterity, plus –4 for Autofiring with Multishot, plus –4 for the crossbow mechanic. (The sad part is that he would still hit on a natural 20, even though the recoil would probably tear his arms off in the process.)

Thanks for the help. I realize that this is a lot of math; even I got confused for a while there. Feel free to correct my math if it’s wrong. :D

jkantor

First Post
This is, I take it, for a CoC Evil Dead campaign? (You just need to add the grafted chainsaw.)

I don't know if these are explicitly allowed or not - but your math sounds logical, and if one of your players wants to do it, why not let them?

Seems right to me, if anybody wants to try and attack with two pistols Neo style.

I could see that:
Neo: *incredible display of flips, spins, kung-fu, wall running and gunnery.*
Cthulhu: "Sluuurp!"

In Dragonstar, they have the "Two-Gun Fighting" Feat, that is just Two Weapon Fighting for Ranged Weapons.
I don`t know the weapon damage dies, but they might be a good identifier for the size of the weapon.
The smallest pistol (a hold-out type) should be tiny, a standard pistol (9mm?) should be small, a bigger pistol (.45, things like Desert Eagle and Submachineguns) be medium, and rifles medium to large weapons. (Remember that you sometimes can use a rifle one-handed, but it can`t be recommended...)

Mustrum Ridcully

Dieter

First Post
Come on, you know everyone wants to see a John Woo/Cthulhu
crossover.

He was a detective working to clean up the mean streets of New York. It was tentacled beast spawned from the nightmares of millions of disgruntles New Yorkers. The epic battle of two-gun justice vs. cephalopod has begun. Chow-Yun Fat is Dectective Johnny Chun and John Goodman as Cthulhu...the nightmare begins this Summer.

Remove ads