D&D 5E Combat question

my favorite way to optimise something similar is to attack, then TWF attack, then stow one weapon and attack again using dueling +2 to damage. Then next turn do it in reverse order (dueling attack, draw weapon, attack, TWF bonus action attack).
You can, but you actually lose 0.5 damage and your bonus action. I'd rather have a shield.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
One of the PCs did something similar in one of my games during a fight in the town square. After the PC maneuvered a bit away, one of the local thugs in town ran out i nthe battlefield, grabbed the visibly highly magical weapon on the ground and ran off with it. They caught him before he could fence it, but it was a moent for the group.

There was also a time when a PC dropped their brand new magic bow to draw a melee weapon - on (essentially) a rope bridge - over lava. I stopped to confirm - "You're on a rope bridge that isn't sturdy - do you really want to switch to a new weapon and drop that bow?" They said yes. They ... didn't think about the dropping part - they were focused on whether they'd fall in the lava themself.

There are mechanics, and then there is story. Sometimes doing something for a pure mechanical advantage is going to open the door for a story related situation to develop. Don't be purely punitive in looking to 'reprimand' PCs - but don't ignore what would happen when people start to do real weird stuff.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Dual Wielder doesn't help here does it? If you stow the swords for free then you can't draw the greatsword for free. You must drop the swords and then draw the greatsword. That means you need to pick up both swords and Dual Wielder doesn't help there.
My reference to the Dual Wielder was regarding the second part of the OP, which never stow the greatsword but drop it.

The feat thus help in that you can drop the greatsword for free and draw two light finesse weapons and attack with them.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
My reference to the Dual Wielder was regarding the second part of the OP, which never stow the greatsword but drop it.

The feat thus help in that you can drop the greatsword for free and draw two light finesse weapons and attack with them.
That covers round 1 assuming you have the great sword out before combat starts (typical enough). But subsequent rounds you aren’t allowed to stow your weapons then pick up the great sword? Right?

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
That covers round 1 assuming you have the great sword out before combat starts (typical enough). But subsequent rounds you aren’t allowed to stow your weapons then pick up the great sword? Right?
Correct, but I don't think Ymdar is looking for a repeatable strategy round-to-round, just a one round benefit.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Yes but the OP never indicated any repitition. He could always drop the two light weapons for free, Pick up the greatsword and attack with it.

Yes but the OP never indicated any repitition. He could always drop the two light weapons for free, Pick up the greatsword and attack with it.
You can do it if nobody kicks away your weapons, or interferes with them, but it's not worthwhile unless you think it looks cool. You're not gaining damage compared to the alternative, and you're tying up your bonus action. I can see someone trying to do it if they thought it was more damage, but it's not. Most of the time it's LESS damage, or almost exactly the same amount of damage, depending on your feats and fighting styles.

If someone wanted to do it, I would let them and not even argue about it. The emperor has a new set of clothes. Let them be happy with their cool self.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases