D&D 5E Command and spike growth

Pickaxe

Explorer
Command cannot cause a creature to do something “directly harmful” to itself. If I cast command on a creature standing in the area of a spike growth spell and tell it to flee, will it run through the area, taking 2d4 damage per five feet? Or is fleeing in this case considered to be something directly harmful?

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
"Directly harmful" would mean the target is aware of an existing danger. They may not be aware of Spike Growth, which takes a Perception check to notice if you weren't there when the spell was cast. So, if they saw the ground change or make the Perception check, Command wouldn't trigger.

Otherwise, the spell would be granting supernatural abilities to creatures to sense dangers previously unknown.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
While of different magnitude, it seems as direct as... running off a cliff would be.
I disagree. Taking damage from spike growth is incidental to running away. Falling off a cliff is not incidental to running off a cliff - it’s pretty much the direct result of running off a cliff.

ECMO3

Hero
Command cannot cause a creature to do something “directly harmful” to itself. If I cast command on a creature standing in the area of a spike growth spell and tell it to flee, will it run through the area, taking 2d4 damage per five feet? Or is fleeing in this case considered to be something directly harmful?
I would say it is directly harmful.

MarkB

Legend
I disagree. Taking damage from spike growth is incidental to running away. Falling off a cliff is not incidental to running off a cliff - it’s pretty much the direct result of running off a cliff.
How is running onto a spike less direct than running off a cliff?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Let me put it this way: ignore the spells and think about what a person would actually do to get away from something they’re fleeing from. Run off a cliff? No. Run directly into a spike? No. Run through a patch of spiky brambles? Maybe, if it’s the most direct path away from whatever they’re fleeing from. Hold still because they were already in a patch of spiky brambles when the thing started chasing them? Not a chance.

Remove ads