D&D 5E Command and spike growth

Lyxen

Great Old One
For me I'm just going to suggest to the player to try a different command like Grovel if they can't go anywhere because of OAs.

It's a good way to do it, it's just that we have these table rules where we try not to backtrack and/or have discussions and suggestions like these as they really slow down play, which is why...

In either case the spell isn't failing just having a different effect.
... indeed having some adaptability is cool and usually a lot of fun, if yu can trust your players not to abuse it in later situations (which is the case at our tables).

rmcoen

Adventurer
I think an earlier poster had it "right":
1) If the creature knows it is in a field of spikes (possible only with Perception, per the spell description), then it knows movement will harm it. Command fails - perhaps defaulting to "Grovel".
2) Otherwise, the creature attempts to flee, as Commanded... moves 1 square, and takes damage from the spikes. A new save is forced - probably with a new Perception check - as the creature might think this was an isolated circumstance.
3) Repeat as necessary.

What about that Nathair's Mischief then?
3Each creature in the cube must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or begin giggling until the start of your next turn. A giggling creature is incapacitated and uses all its movement to move in a random direction.

MarkB

Legend
What about that Nathair's Mischief then?
3Each creature in the cube must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or begin giggling until the start of your next turn. A giggling creature is incapacitated and uses all its movement to move in a random direction.
What about it? That spell doesn't have the caveats Command does. Targets aren't in their right mind, so they don't get to apply caution to their movement.

Remove ads