D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor: Species

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
the simpsons helen GIF

And by "children," I mean lizardfolk dragonborn
FTFY!

More seriously, man, the sudden surge in dragonborn hate is disappointing.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I've been downvoting lizardfolk for a week and am glad they are finally gone. What to downvote next?
Well, Earth Genasi is ripe for the taking, while Half-Orc is challenging Hill Dwarf, which you've previously upvoted. Guess it's a matter of, do you want to go for the kill, or do you want to weaken a likely rival?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
And there's our Top Ten!

Aasimar (8)
Dragonborn, Gem (8)
Dwarf, Hill (17)
Elf, Wood (9)
Gnome, Forest (7)
Half-Elf (15)
Half-Orc (17)
Halfling, Lightfoot (10)
Hobgoblin (7)
Kobold (9)

Looks like my earlier prediction was only half-right. (I chose the wrong dwarf and the wrong genasi, and I didn't expect we would eliminate all the animal-hybrids but not the elves.)

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
And there's our Top Ten!

Aasimar (8)
Dragonborn, Gem (8)
Dwarf, Hill (17)
Elf, Wood (9)
Gnome, Forest (7)
Half-Elf (15)
Half-Orc (17)
Halfling, Lightfoot (10)
Hobgoblin (7)
Kobold (9)

Looks like my earlier prediction was only half-right.
Sadly, the things I hoped would make it this far mostly didn't (Satyr primarily, that was the one I refused to name before.) If we continue counting half-elves as Tolkien-like, then only 4 of the top 10 are Tolkienesque options. Those four do account for 51 points, out of a total of 107, so they're over-represented pointswise. Halflings have proved more durable than I expected, they may survive through the end of the weekend if they keep getting the support they've been getting, but their days are almost certainly numbered once Gnomes are gone. Kobolds have proven surprisingly tenacious, as have aasimar and wood elves. Half-orcs being tied for first is also a surprise.

Honestly though, I do not get the sustained affection for dwarves. They're a distinctly unpopular race now, based on DDB player statistics. Based on those numbers, it seems they've been pretty much totally supplanted in the "stocky fighter" department by dragonborn, half-orc, or goliath. Guess dwarves being a front-runner is just part of the board's notable userbase bias toward old-school stuff.

Remove ads