D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor: Species

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What I believe Scribe meant was that offering a toolkit that inherently has no flavor--where you must port in all of the flavor yourself--feels cold and sterile, aggressively mechanical.

It would be like throwing a spreadsheet at someone and telling them it's exactly equivalent to being in a spaceship, they just need to imagine harder.
But thats a great part of RPGs design - getting a list of parts that we can then add to a hull to make a cooler spaceship;)

Flavor is an act of imagination, so asking a player to get creative with backgrounds and feats and create their own race is more fun Imho.
yrmv

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
But thats a great part of RPGs design - getting a list of parts that we can then add to a hull to make a cooler spaceship;)

Flavor is an act of imagination, so asking a player to get creative with backgrounds and feats and create their own race is more fun Imho.
yrmv
Sure. But there is a difference, I should think, between something that is already designed, described, and illustrated, and something that is exclusively "pick an option from list 1, a feat, an option from list 3, and your size." Would you not agree?

The latter has nothing whatsoever until you pour something into the vessel. The former is already half-full.

Last edited:

Good grief, its looking like Willow Ufgood for the win.
I hope you all know that your votes were for Peks, Hobbits, Halflings, Hin and "Kender". Yes you read that right, if Tiamat is Takhisis, Halfling are Kender. It is known.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
What I believe Scribe meant was that offering a toolkit that inherently has no flavor--where you must port in all of the flavor yourself--feels cold and sterile, aggressively mechanical.

It would be like throwing a spreadsheet at someone and telling them it's exactly equivalent to being in a spaceship, they just need to imagine harder.
The flavor is already in the Monster Manual, or Volo's, or in your favorite mythology book, or your favorite novel... whatever inspired you to play that particular character in the first place. It's as difficult as you want it to be, really.

Or you can create it yourself from whole cloth and pure imagination, as you describe. Which would be the most challenging part for me, because it requires me to first decide why I need a different species in the first place. But I've seen it done... my players love doing it that way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases